Given the two running themes this week have been the leaky plumbing in my house and Advent this should make for a very interesting set of Random Thoughts for the week.
First let me say, this is what makes Canada an amazing country. We are in the middle of a Financial Melt Down of Apocalyptic nature, yet our politicians have felt it was not “all about them” so this Carnival of the Inept is brewed up. The script reads straight out of a Marx Brothers movie (Groucho Harper, Chico Dion, Zeppo Layden and Harpo May), actually that is giving Marx Brothers movies a bad rap.
Plumbing for the Week
For those of you who believe this whole thematic premise was a clever writing trick, I give you the hole in my ceiling!
No they are not leaking now, but just to show I am a blogger of integrity and I don’t just make this stuff up. I note Michael James attempted to steal my thematic concept with his post Enbridge TAPS Program Mishap, very cheap, go strong to the hoop, or don’t go at all!
Advent Financial Calendar Box Day 6
Today we open the box on our Advent Financial Calendar and find a Credit Card bill with a very large total and interest charges on it.
That’s a really crappy thing to find in an Advent Calendar, but if you plan on overspending at Christmas (no one does, but it happens) and think you can simply let it slide because you have a “low interest” credit card, think again. Once you start a rotating debt strategy resolving it is never easy.
Advent and Christmas are for celebrating life and enjoying family and friends, not for putting yourself into debt or worse. Money may not buy happiness but Debt sure doesn’t either.
Around the Financial Blogosphere This Week
This week there were some very interesting posts, here are but a few:
- The BBC is pointing out that Britons are Saving Money by Having Sex , which is a new spin on Frugality, but it is cheap (if you have a partner (come to think of it… nope, not going there)).
- The Canadian Capitalist updated us on the Sleepy Mini-Portfolio, which I am actually using in one of my investment vehicles, very useful for lazy investors like me.
- Michael James seems to have lost his interest in graphs and has come over to the Dark Side of financial blogging (the Jerry Seinfeld viewpoint), where he asks, Is Half Price Meat Safe ?
- My Money Blog added in the Dilbert One Page Guide to Everything Financial , very entertaining, no mention of half price meat though.
- Larry MacDonald points out the Best Time to Invest is Now, if you have the money.
- Money Smart Life has some ideas about how to Save Money at Restaurants , me and Mrs. C8j are sticking with the “don’t go in the front door” strategy.
Clean Air Cash Grab
I note that Daulton McGuinty assumes I have lots of money, so he is going to make me have my two cars checked again for the “Clean Air Cash Grab Emissions test”, before I can renew my registration. I have ranted about this before, but I thought this program was being phased out? Maybe it’s a special just for me? Grumble…
Have a good weekend all!