Apologies for the erratic posts this week, I was finishing up my French training, and I am happy to say I have succeeded and will now be returning to work. Arguments about the need for bilingualism aside, when you are 51 and you try to relearn a language, it is bloody hard, and I am very happy with the mark I received since I was sure I had made a big mess of it. Back to the real world now.
Just for the folks who keep seeing the iconic bridge in London on the Olympic broadcasts, that is not London Bridge, that is Tower Bridge (near the Tower Hill Tube Station). London Bridge is somewhere in Arizona now (I believe). That is your Olympic factoid from the BCM for this week.
Canadians are also showing that we are excellent guests at the Olympics, we don’t win and upset our hosts or the super powers, we take our Bronze medals and we say THANK YOU! Gold is just so showy anyhow, do you dip your kids shoes in Gold? No! You BRONZE them! I think our athletes are doing a great job, keep up the good work kids (oh and Grandpa Ian Miller too).
The dry conditions in Ottawa continues on, and we really could use a bit more rain, just to help out our farmers (my grass being brown is not that important). No rain could mean even higher food prices.
I did take a day off this week, so not as many posts to catch up on, but still some odd thematic premises as well:
- August is here, and that post has a fun video about NASA computers.
- I allowed a guest post by Tusk Trader but only because he was honest and from the heart for his Top 5 Investing Mistakes. Guest posts that are personal are what I look for.
- Going back to when I was a lot younger (and a lot crazier) I wrote about Sometimes You Gotta Set the Toilet on Fire (to learn a lesson).
- Where are the Financial Wingmen these days? Everybody wants to do things, brag about it, even if they didn’t do that much! Help a brother (or sister) out, and just know you did good.
And thanks to those who added me on Twitter I am now over 1130 folks who follow me, mon dieu! If you join my “Twitter Posse“, you might notice I am also re-Tweeting some posts from the French Media as well (hell, if I am learning the language, shouldn’t we all?).
Check out my Facebook page as well (but no I didn’t buy Facebook stock). The page includes many different posts, not just my own (kind of like this Friday post, but all week-long), and I have changed it a little bit too (note the new background).
Links for the Week
Many folks are working summer hours (even me) so not as many posts to read over this week but still a few caught my eye:
- Larry MacDonald returns with Securities Lending sees Landmark Ruling in Favor of Investors, what one for us?
- My Own Advisor wonders Are you living your financial values? Pretty deep question, but a very good question, as well.
- Timeless Finance gives us a meat and potatoes post about his Monthly Goals for August, I admire folks who publish their goals, I don’t dare for fear of increasing my reputation as the KING of Procrastinators.
- Jeremy at Modest Money seems to be taking on Preet as a media darling with his Global BC TV Interview, I have been told I have a face for radio.
- Canadian Budget Binder gives you 5 Reasons You Won’t Get Out of Debt, I like it, great title, prove them wrong!
- The Blunt Bean Counter is giving it away with Choosing the Right Advisor - Book giveaway.
- Michael James disagrees with the statement the “Cult of Equity is Dying“, an interesting expose.
- Gail Vaz-Oxlade points out the importance of an Emergency Twenty Can be a Life Saver, where do you hide your emergency stash?
- Preet may not be writing much lately, but he is as busy as heck.
Have a look at my micro-blog on Twitter, where you can see a whole plethora of good articles and pithy comments by me as well. Twitter feed where I re-tweet many great articles by some of my featured writers (and make the occasional odd or off colour commentary on life (in 140 characters or less)). I am also on Digg as Big Cajun Man, on reddit, Tumblr, Pinterest and other Social Media sites (look for the BigCajunMan userid) as well.
If you have social media accounts, don’t forget to vote for my posts (see the nifty dashboard on the bottom of each article, where you can cast your votes). As they say in Quebec, vote early and vote often!
This site is iPhone Friendly (and Android , iPod Touch and iPad Friendly), enjoy it on the go, in a readable format for the device. If you are reading with an iPhone or Android device, drop me a comment and tell me if this needs any improvements. This site is also in the Kindle US Blog list, if you are interested, not available in Canada yet (because no Blogs are available in Canada on a Kindle?!?).