RDSP and TD Aggravations

One of the cornerstones that you can set up to plan for your disabled child’s future is the RDSP (read the CRA page for all info). The grants from this program will help you set up funds for your disabled child’s future, since planning for the day that you are not around to help your child is one of the bigger worries for most parents of disabled kids.

I have written about my trials and tribulations that I have run into setting up an RDSP with TD/Waterhouse, and for the most part I have been happy with the system (see the bottom of this post for a list of the posts on this topic so far), however, I have found yet another annoyance just to tick me off a little more.

Let me preface this that I learned all of this on the coldest day of the year so far, where I am really unlikely to want to go out anywhere to do anything, which may explain my annoyance level being so high.

Handsome Devil

Handsome Devil

We had decided that we should be putting money in each of our pay cheque into our son’s RDSP, to take advantage of the grants and such, and previously to set up this kind of auto-magic savings has been relatively simple on the TD web site. Creating a Pre-Authorized Purchase Plan is an actual function on the TD Mutual fund web site, so I assumed that for TD/Waterhouse it might be just that simple. You can guess, that was not the case.

First thing I noticed was that it was not possible on the on line interface to transfer money into the RDSP account at all. I can transfer to my TFSA, RRSP or trading account, but the RDSP account did not appear on the list of accounts I could transfer money into, which annoyed me, but I assumed it meant that I had to call into the Easyline folks and do things that way. I am not a great telephone person, but I finally forced myself to call in to Easyline.

I spoke to a polite young man, who was very apologetic and he said he could not help me, that I in fact had to go into the Bank branch and set up the automatic payments there. I thanked him for his help, hung up the phone, and spewed a few minutes of the finest obscenities I could let loose. How can any bank force me to go into their branch (when it is -30 Celsius outside) to DEPOSIT money into a savings vehicle?

Needless to say I am irked (nay, even peeved) that I must now trudge into my local TD branch to ask them to transfer money bi-weekly into my son’s RDSP, and I will keep my regular readers posted on my progress in this area.

Other RDSP Posts to Read:

• ian stringer December 30, 2013, 10:44 AM

Yes, unfortunately things have not changed much. I was told by Waterhouse that I could do a deposit from the branch so I went to the branch thinking this was an easy task as well. Over an hour later, they told be that I could not deposit a cheque from my wife into this account even though the account was in my wife and my names.

They told me that I needed to bring a cheque made out to TD waterhouse and then they would send that to TD waterhouse for processing. I asked how that is different from me sending a cheque to TD waterhouse directly via the mail and the dumbfounded looks were staggering…

So, being a quick witted young man i suggested, why don’t we just transfer the money from my TD business account and then I could deposit the cheques in there and bobs your uncle…

After another phone call from the branch to TD waterhouse, they said that it was possible but i had to obtain a letter giving TD waterhouse permission to access the funds in my business account and that letter had to be signed and notarized (i think by god himself) before they could do it.

So after all this, i still can trade on my self directed RDSP as none of the online tools work, i need to phone in a trade and for the “convenience” of this TD wants to charge me 29 bucks a trade? I think this RDSP will remain unfunded while i look for a better alternative.

• bigcajunman December 30, 2013, 11:02 AM

$29? I am only paying $9 a trade, try to get that, but yes, also when you find a better alternative, please come back and TELL ME, I will tell others too.

• ian stringer December 30, 2013, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the comment bigcajunman, do you have >50k in your trading accounts? If so that is probably why you are getting the $9 bucks, if not let me know as I will grind them to see if I can get that as well. If I find anything better i will let you know!

• bigcajunman December 30, 2013, 12:29 PM

Yes, I have an RRSP account that allows me to have cheaper trading. Do they charge you the trading charge if you buy one of their Index Funds?

• Calgary_Girl February 2, 2013, 5:17 PM

Our oldest daughter also has special needs and although I haven’t looked into it recently, at the time that we opened her RDSP in 2009, we could only do so through CIBC and not CIBC Investor’s Edge (the brokerage). However, it was fairly easy to open and set up the automatic monthly contribution. I usually phone them once a year to rebalance the investments and increase the monthly contribution, which is a 5 minute phone call. It may not be as bad as you think! :-)

• bigcajunman February 2, 2013, 5:19 PM

Glad to hear other banks aren’t as behind the times as TD!

• Mark January 29, 2013, 2:32 PM

Hi Big Cajunman, just heard you on Mostly Money, Mostly Canadian.

I have looked into it and I don’t believe you can set up a MCP into a RDSP at TD Waterhouse.

You can transfer cash (or securities in kind) from another Waterhouse account by calling a 1-800-465-5463

Or you can make lump sum deposits in the branch.

Now I think that children with disabilities go through enough, but wearing a Canadians Jersey will cause him to be ridiculed and bullied all through his schooling. ;-)

• bigcajunman January 29, 2013, 2:38 PM

Mark, good to know, because I called the TD Waterhouse help line and they were the ones who said I could ONLY do this at my local branch which is what caused this post! I will investigate further and see how it goes.

As for the jersey, his Grandma (who lives in Montreal) had it made for him, he has long since outgrown it! He wears Senators jerseys now.

• Michael James January 29, 2013, 8:18 AM

I’m guessing the problems you’re running into come from the fact that banks can’t justify too much development effort to properly support RDSPs because the total amount of money invested in RDSPs is modest compared to RRSPs. Of course, that shouldn’t stop you from continuing to push for better service.

• bigcajunman January 29, 2013, 9:30 AM

Agreed, the methodology for working with the RDSP in TD/Waterhouse seems to be Red Tape for the sake of Red Tape.