So the Canadian Senate is turning into quite the hot bed of fun and games, with allegations of bad behavior flying faster than on a Grade 3 playground at recess. Will this somehow bring the Harper Government down? Not likely, but if it does, it will be quite entertaining, but it will be that no matter what. As usual it is even more interesting for those of us who live in Ottawa.
The Financial Apocalypse was averted after the Congress Tea Party “renegades” folded up like a cheap tent, and the Democrats have been their normal smug self, but I suspect that this isn’t over by any stretch of the imagination. This will all come back in January and evidently there is a new Conservative Savior on the horizon (given what has happened to the past few ones, it strikes me as a very dangerous label to carry around).
A massive lump of intergalactic rock flew very close to the earth and will be back in 20 years (and the Russians claim it IS going to hit us that time). Will TV135 cause havoc if it hits the earth? Depends on where it hits, but we have 20 years to worry about it (so start now and avoid the rush). Cosmic calamities may be the new fun topic (if you want to help find them, remember to help out Seti At Home ).
My Weekly Recap
My Writings for Week Ending October 25th
The Christmas Season Has Already Started! Ho, Ho, Ho!
This sprung out of a conversation I had with my Mum about when I got my first credit card (in 1982).
Inflation is officially about 1.3% or so, so why do I feel like my wealth is eroding daily? Oh yes, I had kids, never mind.
I took a day off?
Thanks to technology, and far too many things going on I took a day off, felt good too, might do it again.
The Princess Bride and finances, two of my favorite topics, melded into one awkward post, good stuff!
Choice Picks for the Week
An interesting week, what with everyone having a collective sigh of relief with the Financial Disembowelling averted in the U.S. (for now) and such, other folks found much happier topics to write about (other than disembowelling).
- Mark @theBluntBeanCountr wonders if there will be much interest if You Will Soon be Able to Buy 100 Shares in Sydney Crosby ? I think I’d buy shares in an NBA player (less catastrophic injury possibilities), but I’d stay away from NFL players (non guaranteed contracts).
- Mark @MyOwnAdvisor is having a hard time keeping up with The Constant Barrage of Financial Promotion, and I am sure there is yet another one on this very page, but act soon!
- @PreetBanerjee puts out another Mostly Money, Mostly Canadian Podcast with Digital Assets and Estate Planning - a Conversation with @Rayleclair @LawPro . Who can I leave my Simpsons Tapped Out money to if I die? (add GrandAlain if you play).
- Popular Science has another astonishing Scientific breakthrough: Science Confirms the Obvious: Dudes Slow Down When Walking with their Girlfriends (at least dudes who can GET girlfriends). My mind was completely blown when I read that one.
- Michael James is sick and tired of the trite and tired retirement income strategies put forward and comes up with a Retirement Income Strategy of his own. A little more complicated, but maybe a little better thought out than other strategies as well.
- Promod tries to help us clarify things with: How to Tell IF Your Advisor is Independent , evidently there are degrees of independence.
- The @CanadianCapitalist answers a Reader Question on Bond Allocation and points out that no matter what doom and gloom you might hear about the Bond Market maybe now isn’t the time to jump ship (if you hold them).
- Is Marie from @BoomerAndEcho really Dreaming of a Lottery Win, I know I am, but she puts her tongue in cheek and answers what she might do if she did win.
- Kerry @Squawkfox asks an interesting question Can you raise a child for $3,000 a year, and the answer is of course, it depends (on whether you leave your child to free range and poop all over your back yard), an interesting read.
Scary Halloween Stuff
I think this is cooler than spending a month making your house look like a slaughter house, but you couldn’t find SOMETHING to do other than this?
Remember my RSS feed is available too, and I have added an RSS Comment Feed as well. Have a look at my micro-blog on Twitter, where you can see a whole plethora of good articles and pithy comments by me as well. Twitter feed where I re-tweet many great articles by some of my featured writers (and make the occasional odd or off colour commentary on life (in 140 characters or less)). I am also on reddit, Tumblr, Pinterest and other Social Media sites (look for the BigCajunMan userid) as well.
If you have social media accounts, don’t forget to vote for my posts (see the nifty dashboard on the bottom of each article, where you can cast your votes).As they say in Quebec, vote early and vote often! This site is iPhone Friendly (and Android , iPod Touch and iPad Friendly), enjoy it on the go, in a readable format for the device. If you are reading with an iPhone or Android device, drop me a comment and tell me if this needs any improvements. This site is also in the Kindle Blog list, if you are interested.