It is 100 years since the “War to end all Wars” started, and I continue to learn more about this period in history. I had not realized the number of men (and women) that died in the war, and didn’t really comprehend the horrendous conditions that the soldiers (on all sides) fought under. I seem to know a great deal more about the 2nd World War, however, I am embarrassed about how little I know about a war that devastated an entire generation (over 16 million soldiers and civilians died). The fact that 21 years after it, another “War to End All Wars” erupted only strengthens my view that humans are a dumb species (myself included).
Evidently the Russian Mob (or Russian hackers) most likely now have one of your e-mail passwords, might be time to think up a new one, and maybe a heuristic to change your password more than once every time someone hacks the entire web?
Ebola continues to be in the news, I am not sure if I am in a full panic about it yet, but I do wonder if this is worse than we are being told, and things are starting to get a little out of control? The fact that a major US City (Toledo) had a toxic water supply, is another interesting environmental episode this week as well. Wonder if this is Mother Nature finally saying, “You know Homo Sapiens, you have been around long enough”?
My Writings for Week Ending August 8th
It was a shorter week this week, in Ontario we celebrated the Anonymous Long Weekend, next long weekend has a name at least (i.e. Labour Day).
- How do you celebrate a holiday with no name? Who knows, but I did poke fun at it with Happy Civic Holiday.
- Mike Tyson seems like an odd foil for Financial Advice, but his statement is prophetic especially for finances, “Everybody got a plan … until they get hit“
- Living beyond your means seems to be the raison d’etre of an entire generation, so Lifestyle Creep really is aimed at the new lost (money) generation.
This Week’s Finest
The world keep creeping towards some nasty stuff with Russia, the Ukraine, the Middle East, Ebola and of course the new Batman movie (the horror), but hopefully these articles will help keep your mind off the movie at least:
- Our friends at Hanzismatter bring us more fun bad ink, and this week, let’s just how Julie can turn into a very interesting tattoo.
- Mark at the Blunt Bean Counter talks of the death of John Stiff in You Have Been Named An Executor- Part 2- Now What? Poor Mr. Stiff had an unfortunate surname that is for sure.
- I didn’t realize that Batman carries around a lump of kryptonite in his utility belt, just in case, that is great planning!
- Hope Ed Snowden likes Vodka, he is going to be living in Russia for another 3 years (or until Putin decides he needs a Polonium Milk Shake).
- Some folks may start thinking about RESPs this time of year, and we look into the Canadian Capitalist’s archives to get Investing in TD e-Series Funds for an RESP, well worth a read (again).
- Mark from My Own Advisor brings us another update on his growing fortune with his July 2014 Dividend Income Update, good on you lad!
- You do realize that I have a Fun Felines board on Pinterest, right?
- I am giving blood at the Walter Baker Centre in Barrhaven on Monday August 18th hope to see you all there!
- Happy to see that LEGO is creating a Female Scientist set for all those little girls to have the proper LEGO role models.
- So you think you can’t control your spending? Sportsbreak gives us 10 Athletes Who Blew Through All Their Money, that is sure a lot of spending.
- You do realize I have a tumblr page as well, canajunfinances.tumblr.com
- Do Caged Pigs get more space than Passengers on an Airplane? For anyone above 5 foot 8 inches, it doesn’t matter really.
- I need 9 more followers on Twitter to get to 2100 ? Wowzers! What is weirder is that my twitter feed has the same page rank as this site.
- Preet may be having some “me time” but you can still wander through his Podcasts, one of my favorites is his discussions with Michael James.
- Million Dollar Journey stirs the retirement pot a little with How Much Do You Need to Retire in Canada? Not as Much as You Think!
- Barry from Money We Have point out a few Financial Subjects He Needs to Work On, come to think of it, so might I.
- One of the finest examples of work evasion is to be seen in this simple request for a lost cat poster.
- Michael James has a quiet week this week but does dig into his e-mail box so he can Reply to More E-mails, I don’t get that many unless you count the “cheap little blue pills” e-mails I get in that list.
- Mark from 2nd Career Search seems to have hit a rhythm and had a few articles this week with him asking Did You Rebalance? He also has started a new blog on Drones and Quadcopters (if you are into that scene).
Life of a Soldier
A short from the NFB about the life of a soldier:
I Hate Meetings
This is hilarious however:
My Twitter feed is where I re-tweet many great articles by some of my featured writers (and make the occasional odd or off colour commentary on life (in 140 characters or less)). I am also on reddit, Tumblr, Pinterest and other Social Media sites (look for the BigCajunMan userid) as well. If you have social media accounts, don’t forget to vote for my posts (see the nifty dashboard on the bottom of each article, where you can cast your votes).As they say in Quebec, vote early and vote often!
This site is iPhone Friendly (and Android , iPod Touch and iPad Friendly), enjoy it on the go, in a readable format for the device. If you are reading with an iPhone or Android device, drop me a comment and tell me if this needs any improvements.
This site is also in the Kindle Blog list,if you are interested.