An eventful week at the C8j household, with young Master C8j breaking his humerus, whilst playing on the Monkey Bars at camp. It was a long process to get him fixed up, Mrs. C8j carried the brunt of the load, but now Master C8j has 4 Kirschner Wires in his elbow and a while until he gets to climb on the Monkey Bars again. This is what 9 year olds do, is what I am told by the surgeon (he says there are many of these same procedures done on kids at CHEO every year). Yesterday all I could think of was Bill Cosby’s old standup routine about the Playground (I have included it at the end of this in the Video Section), but it’s true you never see any grownups on the monkey bars!
Here is a useful like to Donate to CHEO as well.
During stressful situations, you meet the most interesting folks, and during Master C8j’s repairs, one of the Doctors we met at CHEO, actually is a leading EBOLA doctor (why he was working in the Emergency Room of CHEO, just shows Doctors do lots of interesting things). He made one very interesting comment about the current problems in Africa, it is not as much a medical issue, as it is a Policing of Patients issue. People want to visit their family in hospital, and don’t know why they can’t, worse still the patients don’t want to be in Hospital so they keep trying to leave! Fascinating very short chat we had.
Congrats to the Canadian Women’s Rugby 15’s team for winning the Silver Medal at the World Cup of Rugby for Women. Canadian Women are tough broads (I should know, I have 3 daughters (one that plays Rugby)).
Under the “That’s Incredible” section of things, Mrs. C8j has been married to me for 27 years today, I believe that is the “You Realize, You Are Still Wrong!” anniversary, or something like that. Mrs. C8j is a patient loving woman, who has very poor taste in choosing mates, of which I took full advantage.
My Writings for Week Ending August 22nd
Given all the excitement down at the Big C8j Hacienda, didn’t get a lot written this week (and I am on vacation next week too), but I did get a couple of good ones in, for your reading pleasure, Good Reader.
- Some of my best ideas I steal from others, so when Preet B. commented “I’m an indexer. I don’t care what the indexes did today!” I couldn’t resist writing something around that commentary.
- I am the Big Cajun Man and I must confess that I find Financial Advice in the Oddest Places, like Cosmopolitan Magazine.
- A while ago I asked Are Canadians Financially Stupid, but it’s always a good question to keep asking.
This Week’s Finest
We still live in very troubled times, let us hope things can calm down some time soon, but I suspect that may not be for a very long while:
- The National Post claims the Internet is Almost Full, and it may all come crashing down around us soon. The article while confusing is still entertaining, and no it isn’t going to fall over for the reasons given here, but maybe for other reasons. Remember that the SUN will one day burn out as well, so start preparing for that too.
- While still on vacation the Blunt Bean Counter asks an important question: Are Money and Success the Same Thing? The answers may surprise you.
- CBC is claiming that the Tattoo Removal Business is Booming, and after seeing all of the badly done tattoos out there I am not the least bit surprised.
- Another important Mad Men, Roger Sterling quote to ponder on, “Swimming is easy. Staying afloat is hard.”, an even more topical quote for me is “Do you want to be right, or do you want to be married?”
- Michael James takes a few Financial Rules of Thumb on Test Drives, to see whether they are really correct or not.
- CBC also has a very apt set of 7 tips to prevent amputations during DIY home renos, very useful tips.
- How Much Do You Pay Per Year for Your Car ? Is a good question from Mark at 2nd Career Search.
- How reliable are Tesla power units? Evidently the Tesla Model S now has infinite-mile warranty , why don’t you ask your Ford dealer for the same deal?
- Barry at Money We Have wants to help us get out of debt so he gives us 7 Ways to Pay Off Your Mortgage Faster, I am amazed he got to 7.
- “If you have more tweets than followers, you may as well be shouting down a golf hole”, ESPN LateNight > Hello Golf Hole!!!
- Mark from My Own Advisor tilts at some other Financial Advisories with Agree or Disagree - Testing 15 Financial Rules, always good to hear other folks opinions on this.
Bill Cosby and the Monkey Bars
This is from the late 60’s but still true today!
This is your ear worm for the weekend, 80’s synth music.
A Video For Preet
Preet B. has been taking time off from writing, but his twitter feed is still busy, he commented, “Television is killing the Movie Star”, however, I pointed out that Video already Killed the Radio Star (a great 70’s tune).
A new growth industry! Here is another idea, DON’T GET THE TATTOO IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!
My Twitter feed is where I re-tweet many great articles by some of my featured writers (and make the occasional odd or off colour commentary on life (in 140 characters or less)). I am also on reddit, Tumblr, Pinterest and other Social Media sites (look for the BigCajunMan userid) as well. If you have social media accounts, don’t forget to vote for my posts (see the nifty dashboard on the bottom of each article, where you can cast your votes).As they say in Quebec, vote early and vote often!
This site is iPhone Friendly (and Android , iPod Touch and iPad Friendly), enjoy it on the go, in a readable format for the device. If you are reading with an iPhone or Android device, drop me a comment and tell me if this needs any improvements.
This site is also in the Kindle Blog list,if you are interested.