Thanks to the odd placement of July 1st this year, I am enjoying two 2-day work weeks (unfortunately with a 1 day weekend in between). I did my best to stuff as much as I could into my 1 day weekend.
It is the 4th of July on Saturday and our American relations will show how a Real Party is done. More than one comedian has quipped that the 4th should be renamed Blow Something Up Day but I am OK with seeing a country truly revel in their own freedoms. Oh and for those of you who have said, “I am moving to Canada now that same-sex marriage is legal”, you might want to reconsider things a little. 🗽
Greece, ’nuff said. By the way, who loaned them the money, Money Mart?
According to our friends over at the Canadian Taxpayers Federation Bill C-518 died “on the vine”, in the Senate. Bill C-518 was the bill passed in the house of commons that was, “… (the law to revoke taxpayer-funded pensions from criminal politicians)…”, I guess I am curious to ask, “And you thought the Senate would pass it?”. The CTF is always fun to read (I agree with the National Post on that one).
My Writings for Week Ending July 3rd
Now that Canada Day is done, what next? August long weekend? Simcoe Days? Labor Day? Christmas? Yikes! :
- Did you realize that inflation is really low? Stats Canada told us last week Inflation at 0.9% for May, but is it really? As usual, all is not as it might appear to be.
- Canada has it’s own (smaller scale) blow things up day, and to help celebrate it, I even included a video of Bill Shatner singing Oh Canada, so Happy Canada Day Celebrate out Nation
- On this site’s sister publication, there was another weekly roundup with Medical Concerns and Best of Technology and Security This Week. I am also fiddling around with a Raspberry Pi 2 at home as well (as if I didn’t have enough to do).
And now, deep thoughts with Preet Banerjee:
Oh, the airport: in men's room a guy had his elbows on ledge above urinal so he could text while… urinating on his feet.
— 🇨🇦Preet Banerjee (@preetbanerjee) June 27, 2015
The Week the Greek Economy went Boom, and other Explosive Money Stories
Mark from 2nd Career Search asks a really hard question (and tries to help answer it) with How Much Can I Spend in Retirement? The answer will depend on your lifestyle, but still some very good points here. In other thoughts (to do with a second career search surprisingly) were you really thinking of quitting your current job? Well here is an interesting article from the Penny Hoarder on How to Quit Your Job: What to do Before You Resign (remember don’t quit before reading it). Getting back to that retirement theme, Marie from Boomer and Echo writes about Protecting Your Nest Egg in Retirement (and ensuring you don’t eat high ash cat food (OK she didn’t write that part)).
Mr Money Mustache make a very interesting philosophical statement, If You Wouldn’t Buy it, You Should Probably Sell it. I won’t ruin it for you, but the opening photo is worth the link. Money Magazine on-line says that America is Going to Spend BIG to Celebrate independence. How much $725 Million on fireworks alone, that is a lot of BOOM! Do you realize it is also the 50th anniversary of the Canadian Flag, but here is an interesting History of the Canadian Dollar, as well.
Wealthing Like Rabbits
Wonder what the author looks like? Here he is:
— Big Cajun Man (aw) (@bigcajunman) June 27, 2015
I am no poker expert, in fact, I don’t even play the game, because I always lose, but even I can spot the problem in this hand:
A Money Music Video
This is a groundbreaking early video from the 80’s that has a title that means I have No Money, great eh?
2015 Random Thoughts
- January 2nd Random Thoughts on 2014, Welcome to MMXV and #BestOf
- January 9th Frigid Temps, Plunging Oil, Paris and #BestThisWeek
- January 16th Canadian Economy on the Edge, Frigid Temps and #BestThisWeek
- January 23rd Looser Money, Plummeting Loons and #BestThisWeek
- January 30th CLBs, Weak Loons, Tax Time, Superb Owls and #BestThisWeek
- February 6th Superb Decisions, Gas Going Up, Rugby and #BestThisWeek
- February 13th RRSPs, Valentines, 50 Shades of Debt and #BestOfThisWeek
- February 20th Lent Begins, Freezing Temps, Apples and RRSP and #BestOfThisWeek
- February 27th RRSPs, Saint David, Right Arm and #BestOfThisWeek
- March 6th Illness, K-Cups, Interest Rates and #BestOfThisWeek
- March 13th March Madness, Taxes, Friday the 13th and #BestOfThisWeek
- March 20th Spring has Sprung, Ten Years, The Madness and #BestOfThisWeek
- March 27th Death of EPost, More Madness, and #BestMoneyStories
- April 10th Senators, Retiring Rich and #BestMoneyStories
- April 17th Playoffs, Tax Time, Beer tax and #BestMoneyStories
- April 24th RRIF Allowances, Bursary Changes, Budgets and #BestMoneyStories
- May 1st Tax Extensions, Golf Season, Bank Fees, May Day and #BestMoneyStories
- May 8th Alberta Valium, Mother’s Day, Che Guevara, Pay Day Loans and #BestMoneyStories
- May 15th Starbucks, Monty Burns and #BestMoneyStories
- May 22nd Coach Money, CPP Up 18 pct, Losing $15B and #BestMoneyStories
- May 29th Easy Money, Better Cell Deals, Dirty Football and #BestMoneyStories
- June 5th Starbucks, Hacked Government Folk and #BestMoneyStories
- June 12th Voldemort for PM, HSBC Cuts 50K, Hockey Talk and #BestMoneyStories
- June 19th Aeroplan Student Loans, Dad’s Day, Kill CSBs and #BestMoneyStories
- June 26th Summer is Here, Canada Day, Christmas and #BestMoneyStories
Remember my RSS feed is available too, and I have added an RSS Comment Feed as well. Have a look at my micro-blog on Twitter, where you can see a whole plethora of good articles and pithy comments by me as well.
My Twitter feed is where I re-tweet many great articles by some of my featured writers (and make the occasional odd or off colour commentary on life (in 140 characters or less)). I am also on reddit, Tumblr, Pinterest , Flipboard, Instagram and other Social Media sites (look for the BigCajunMan userid) as well. If you have social media accounts, don’t forget to vote for my posts (see the nifty dashboard on the bottom of each article, where you can cast your votes).As they say in Quebec, vote early and vote often!
This site is iPhone Friendly (and Android , iPod Touch and iPad Friendly), enjoy it on the go, in a readable format for the device. If you are reading with an iPhone or Android device, drop me a comment and tell me if this needs any improvements.