What could possibly be interesting at a meeting of a bunch of Personal Finance folks? I am not sure, but I am going to go and find out this weekend at CPFC15. I am hoping I will meet with my peers and they will enlighten me on why I work for slave wages, yet I continue to be a 6 Figure Blogger as well. My guess is I will get to make some new acquaintances, and possibly watch a lot of Blue Jays games in various bars around Toronto.
Election Day is Monday, and the country’s long painful journey may finally be over (for now). Remember you really do need to go vote or you really have no reason to complain. I am not sure if I have made up my mind for Monday, but that still does not mean that Mr. Pollster (who calls me every night) will ever hear of my decision. My suspicion continues to be that we will be voting again some time next year to resolve the “dead heat” that may occur on Monday.
If the Liberals get into power, how are they going to “roll back” that TFSA limit? Going to be quite interesting, no matter how you slice it.
It seems Toronto will be rocking this weekend, but not just with out of control Personal Finance folks, with the Blue Jays making it to the AL Championship Series (after one of the more interesting games I have ever watched (and I have been watching for over 44 years)).
My Writings for Week Ending October 16th
The Thanksgiving weekend gave me some time to dust off a few old ideas and catch up on a little bit of writing as well.
- Turkey Election Talk and Money Tweets for the Week, highlighted some of the fun tweets about money and the election this week.
- Happy Thanksgiving 2015 allowed me to trot out one of my favorite turkey pictures, and yes that was a bird cooked by the fine Mrs. C8j (and that bacon, mmm….)
- Stats Canada keeps adding interesting data that no one on the campaign trail seems to want to talk about with More Working but also Unemployed in September, how can you have more working and unemployed? Read and find out.
- Are Robo-Advisors a God Send to Investing ? They could be, but there is a need for clarity and maybe some more regulations.
- On the sister publication to this site another interesting security awareness article iOS Naughtiness and Security Tweets of the week.
Facebook Post of the Week
A warning that we should all heed, the aging baby boomers are going to need support, will our social safety net withstand this kind of pressure ?
Money Stories and other Horror Stories
I am a man who fancies himself to be witty sometimes, however, Michael James does win the funniest (and most concise) post of the week with his Credit Card Bill parody, I laughed out loud (luckily the folks I work with are sure I am mad). So what are The Income Tax Implications of Selling U.S. Real Estate ? You know who might know about that? Our friend the Blunt Bean Counter, and luckily he wrote about it too.
Do you like the Dividends? Our amigo Mark from My Own Advisor is a big fan of it, but one of his readers wanted to get in on the discussion, which then caused this interesting article to be written, Dividend Earner – why I’m living off dividends and distributions. Do you like spending? Michael James wants to talk to you (again) about this very topic with Typical Spending vs. Average Spending , you might think you have enough to live on but do you really? Do you like the Credit Cards? As a few bloggers have pointed out Tangerine is offering a new card, and in Tangerine’s No-Fee Cash-back MasterCard – The New Cash Back King? Million Dollar Journey outlines this interesting card option.
Best Election Video
And this guy is running against Stephen Harper (in Harper’s riding), this is an astonishingly imaginative video:
Post Game Interviews
So I am not even sure that Munenori Kawasaki is even on the Jays Playoff roster, but he does give a very entertaining post game interview.
2015 Random Thoughts
- January 2nd Random Thoughts on 2014, Welcome to MMXV and #BestOf
- January 9th Frigid Temps, Plunging Oil, Paris and #BestThisWeek
- January 16th Canadian Economy on the Edge, Frigid Temps and #BestThisWeek
- January 23rd Looser Money, Plummeting Loons and #BestThisWeek
- January 30th CLBs, Weak Loons, Tax Time, Superb Owls and #BestThisWeek
- February 6th Superb Decisions, Gas Going Up, Rugby and #BestThisWeek
- February 13th RRSPs, Valentines, 50 Shades of Debt and #BestOfThisWeek
- February 20th Lent Begins, Freezing Temps, Apples and RRSP and #BestOfThisWeek
- February 27th RRSPs, Saint David, Right Arm and #BestOfThisWeek
- March 6th Illness, K-Cups, Interest Rates and #BestOfThisWeek
- March 13th March Madness, Taxes, Friday the 13th and #BestOfThisWeek
- March 20th Spring has Sprung, Ten Years, The Madness and #BestOfThisWeek
- March 27th Death of EPost, More Madness, and #BestMoneyStories
- April 10th Senators, Retiring Rich and #BestMoneyStories
- April 17th Playoffs, Tax Time, Beer tax and #BestMoneyStories
- April 24th RRIF Allowances, Bursary Changes, Budgets and #BestMoneyStories
- May 1st Tax Extensions, Golf Season, Bank Fees, May Day and #BestMoneyStories
- May 8th Alberta Valium, Mother’s Day, Che Guevara, Pay Day Loans and #BestMoneyStories
- May 15th Starbucks, Monty Burns and #BestMoneyStories
- May 22nd Coach Money, CPP Up 18 pct, Losing $15B and #BestMoneyStories
- May 29th Easy Money, Better Cell Deals, Dirty Football and #BestMoneyStories
- June 5th Starbucks, Hacked Government Folk and #BestMoneyStories
- June 12th Voldemort for PM, HSBC Cuts 50K, Hockey Talk and #BestMoneyStories
- June 19th Aeroplan Student Loans, Dad’s Day, Kill CSBs and #BestMoneyStories
- June 26th Summer is Here, Canada Day, Christmas and #BestMoneyStories
- July 3rd 2 Day Work Weeks, 4th of July, Greece, and #BestMoneyStories
- July 10th Glitches, Greece, Recessions and #BestMoneyStories
- July 17th Loosest Money, Weddings, Greece and #BestMoneyStories
- July 24th, Family Allowance, Diving Dollar, Access Sharing and #BestMoneyStories
- July 31st, Elections, Heat, Cheap Oil, and #BestMoneyStories
- August 7th, Cheap Gold, Cheap Oil, Weak Dollar, Election Week 1 and #BestMoneyStories
- August 14th, RDSPs, Thrifty NFLers , Election Ho Hum and #BestMoneyStories
- August 21st, Rhinos Return, No Good Debt, Election Banter and #BestMoneyStories
- August 28th, Boom Goes the Markets, Market Cheese, and #BestMoneyStories
- September 4th, Back to School, RESPs, Banks Behaving Badly and #MoneyStories
- September 11th, That Day, I Miss Jack, Easy Money and #MoneyStories
- September 18th, Surplus, What Surplus, NBA Frugality, National Debt and #MoneyStories
- September 25th, The Pope, Autumn, Elections, Volkswagen and #MoneyStories
- October 2nd, An Older Canada, Farewell Max, and #MoneyStories
- October 9th, Turkey Day, Elections and #MoneyStories
Remember my RSS feed is available too, and I have added an RSS Comment Feed as well. Have a look at my micro-blog on Twitter, where you can see a whole plethora of good articles and pithy comments by me as well.
My Twitter feed is where I re-tweet many great articles by some of my featured writers (and make the occasional odd or off color commentary on life (in 140 characters or less)). I am also on reddit, Tumblr, Pinterest , Flipboard, Instagram and other Social Media sites (look for the BigCajunMan userid) as well. If you have social media accounts, don’t forget to vote for my posts (see the nifty dashboard on the bottom of each article, where you can cast your votes).As they say in Quebec, vote early and vote often!
This site is iPhone Friendly (and Android , iPod Touch and iPad Friendly), enjoy it on the go, in a readable format for the device. If you are reading with an iPhone or Android device, drop me a comment and tell me if this needs any improvements.