This being the last day of the year, and it falling on a weekday, means you can try to sneak in one or two financial transactions for the calendar year 2015 (or any other year if you are reading it some other time). Is this a good day to be calling in to your banks call-in centre? Absolutely not! You will be on the phone for a very long time, I would suggest doing anything on-line, and if you cannot do that be very patient with the folks on the phones.
Fun things to get done on the last day of the year:
- TFSA withdrawal, yup, you can take something out now, and then replace it some time next year (which would be tomorrow). Is this a good idea? No, especially if it is for impulse buying, but if you will need to, then I guess it is an OK idea (but I am not saying it is OK, just that it works).
- RESP, TFSA, or RDSP deposit ? Not really, it is never a bad idea to put money in these saving vehicles but the limits tend to roll-over to the next year, so no point in wasting your time, unless, you have some left over cash that you got for Christmas, then maybe today is a good time to put that away in savings.
- Withdraw lots of cash for a huge party tonight? C’mon guys, blowing huge wads of cash to celebrate the end of one year or the start of another year is just dumb.
- Make your quarterly tax payment? If you are on a payment plan with the CRA, maybe it is time to get that done?
- Stop by the Licensing bureau to renew your cars registration? Again, be patient, remember, this is your fault!
- Got any old insurance claims you haven’t submitted? Might want to get those done too.
- Here is a good one to do, make a charitable donation, this is the spirit of the season and you get a tax break in March.
- Make resolutions for the coming year? Nah, that is hokum too.
- Start your financial plan for 2016 is the best thing you can do on this last day of the year.
Enjoy the coming year, hope the year that past was OK for you too! Remember the fiscal year typically only ends in March and that Chinese New Year is still a few weeks away.