I was saddened to hear of the death of Stuart McLean, host of the Vinyle Café. That radio show was truly a slice of Canadiana , and the good nature and happiness in the stories told will be sorely lost. Now is a time when we could use more of Stuart’s stories, and less of the other things on the radio.
Really not sure whether this Joe Trudeau chap really has the chops to be PM.
For those who have not watched the 5th Estate piece on “Betrayal of Trust” outlining the 220 lawyers disciplined over the past 6 years for misappropriating over $160M from clients, well worth watching. Do you trust the folks you entrust with your money?
So far Ottawa has had snow pretty much every day in February (except one), so we are quite the winter wonderland. As can be seen by the cardinal on my birdfeeder, no one seems that happy about all this snow.
For those lovers of Monopoly out there, note the passing of the Thimble as a piece for a player, it will be dropped in future Monopoly sets. I don’t know many folks who will miss it (my Mum used to like to be the thimble).
My Writings for Week Ending February 17th
We did have a Surprising Job Picture in Canada in January, with jobs created when none were expected, however, the economy continues to create part-time jobs, but maybe that is what the economy needs? Remains to be seen if that is the case, I suppose.
A Money Thought
We need more kids asking for personal finance education at schools!
— GigiFP (@GSuhanic) February 15, 2017
Will the Snow ever Go?
It has snowed pretty much every day of February here in the Nation’s Capital, and most of us are fed up with it, but that hasn’t stopped some of my favorite sites putting out some great stories this week.
- I have written about the most important thing for your retirement, but Mark from My Own Advisor, hits the nail on the head with, Health is wealth – don’t forget this when planning for retirement
- According to Global News about 51% of Canadians asked thought that if they paid off their monthly balance, they would not pay interest on cash advances? Surely shows Canadians still struggle with basic financial rules, rights: study. Yikes.
- Have you filed your taxes yet? Robb from Boomer and Echo has Tax Tips From An Eager Tax Filer , I don’t get my T4 until the end of February (maybe), so I can’t do much yet.
- If you are running a small business, the Blunt Bean Counter has some advice (or an opinion) on a very interesting topic, The Salary vs Dividend Dilemma 2017 Version – What Small Business Owners Need to Know
- BNN’s correspondent Captain Obvious reports , BMO declares Toronto housing bubble amid ‘dangerously’ hot prices, also in the news, it snowed in Ottawa this week.
- Kerry from Squawkfox was on the CBC talking about Kids and Money, a video well worth watching
- Do you want to learn about Dividend investing? Tawcan brings us How to Start Investing in Dividend Stocks (and ETFs too). A good intro for folks who are curious.
- How to Save Money asks, is this The Year You Start Investing ? If not, why not?
- Barry from Money We Have, hits a topic I am always interested in, What to do if you Have too Much Debt.
- Million Dollar Journey gives us a very useful article for those looking at retirement with, 5 Useful Retirement Calculators – How Much Do You Need to Retire?
- Rob Carrick included my piece on the Business of University Fees, in his Globe and Mail article, Zero per cent financing can cost you more when buying some cars, so lots of new readers for a few days.
- Should both spouses in a marriage understand the finances? Michael James got asked a similar question and you can read his opinion in, Money Skills and Spouses
Podcasts our Financial Friend
— Preet Banerjee (@preetbanerjee) February 10, 2017
2016 Random Thoughts Year End
- February 10th, RRSP , Tax , TFSA , RESP, and RDSP Time and #MoneyTalk
- February 3rd, Year of the Fire Rooster, Financial Groundhog Day and #MoneyTalk
- January 27th, Alternate Financial Facts, 1984 and #Moneytalk
- January 13th, Bungled Mortgages, Friday the 13th and #Moneytalk
- January 6th, Merry New Year, CPP, EI and #MoneyTalk
Remember my RSS feed is available too, and I have added an RSS Comment Feed as well. Have a look at my micro-blog on Twitter, where you can see a whole plethora of good articles and pithy comments by me as well.
My Twitter feed is where I re-tweet many great articles by some of my featured writers (and make the occasional odd or off-color commentary on life (in 140 characters or less)). I am also on reddit, Tumblr, Pinterest , Flipboard, Instagram and other Social Media sites (look for the BigCajunMan userid) as well. If you have social media accounts, don’t forget to vote for my posts (see the nifty dashboard on the bottom of each article, where you can cast your votes).As they say in Quebec, vote early and vote often!
This site is iPhone Friendly (and Android , iPod Touch and iPad Friendly), enjoy it on the go, in a readable format for the device. If you are reading with an iPhone or Android device, drop me a comment and tell me if this needs any improvements.