The long awaited Facebook IPO (stock symbol FB) has been announced, is it time to jump in and make some money on this Tech darling (but the voices in my head say remember Nortel and Yahoo)? I will not be buying in, mostly because I wouldn’t buy a stock directly (I am in my passive investing phase) and while Facebook could be the next Google (symbol: GOOG) it has a chance not to be as well. I will simply watch with interest to see how the feeding frenzy goes.
It was Groundhog Day yesterday too, and as usual the various entrants all made their own predictions, but I can safely predict that Spring will come this year, some time (and if it doesn’t we are really in trouble).
It is also a Super Bowl weekend, where non-football lovers get to watch their loved ones turn into raving loonies over 1 game. I will attempt to create my standard chili, and make sure I have enough beer, in case the Giants don’t play well. The Super Bowl seems to be an event bigger than Christmas (and with a longer lead up period too).
We washed the all stars out of Ottawa, this week Winterlude begins, but in terms of posts I am fixated on mass transit it seems:
And thanks to those who added me on Twitter I am now over 1000 folks who follow me, zut alors! Check out my facebook page as well (but no I won’t be buying Facebook stock because of this either).
Links for the Week
Facebook’s IPO was big in the news, but RIM is still out there bubbling up, and TAX TIME is even more important too:
- Gail Vaz-Oxlade points out we shouldn’t forget Sunk Costs, it may not be as sunk as we thought!
- Tom at Canadian Finance Blog gives those of us with home businesses some tips with Tax Time: Deducting Home Business Costs, always good to read these over, in case you missed something.
- Mr. Money Mustache gets a little earthy in his description of Mr. Mustache’s Biggest Mistake (a little NSFW on some of the words, but well worth reading).
- Larry MacDonald wonders in print what is going at RIM that would cause Mike Lazaridis to Buy more RIM stock ?
- Michael James points out the dangers of Tax reforms with Tax Fairness would decimate Old Age Security, for those of you thinking of retirement.
- Canadian Capitalist gives us a bitter pill with Under 40? Forget about retirement, which is the message the government may be sending.
- Yes I am Cheap gives us her February 1 Debt Check In, a brave post, you guys will never see me publish where I stand financially.
- Notre copain at My Own Advisor proudly writes about Killing one of his own Personal Finance Dragons, good for him.
- Echo of Boomer and Echo tries to explain to us How to Set Up a DRIP, no not the faucet, the investing idea.
- Sustainable PF has an article by Miranda about Preparing to File Your Taxes in Canada, and yes this is that time of the year.
- Miranda at Planting Money Seeds, asks for a home business Do You Need Disability Insurance? Depends on how much you rely on that income, I guess.
- Red Vines and Red Wine goes after a controversial topic in the Autism world with Here We Go Again.
- Preet gives us a piece of Breaking News: Major Changes in the Mortgage Industry, which could make it a little harder for a lot of folks to get mortgages.
It’s Groundhog Day!
Remember my RSS feed is available too, for those who enjoy reading without looking at my crappy page lay out, and I have added an RSS Comment Feed as well.
Have alook at my micro-blog on Twitter, where you can see a whole plethora of good articles and pithy comments by me as well. Twitter feed where I re-tweet many great articles by some of my featured writers (and make the occasional odd or off colour commentary on life (in 140 characters or less)). I am also on Digg as Big Cajun Man, on reddit, Tumblr and other Social Media sites (look for the BigCajunMan userid) as well.
If you have social media accounts, don’t forget to vote for my posts (see the nifty dashboard on the bottom of each article, where you can cast your votes). As they say in Quebec, vote early and vote often!
This site is iPhone Friendly (and Android , iPod Touch and iPad Friendly), enjoy it on the go, in a readable format for the device. If you are reading with an iPhone or Android device, drop me a comment and tell me if this needs any improvements. This site is also in the Kindle US Blog list, if you are interested, not available in Canada yet (because no Blogs are available in Canada on a Kindle?!?).
A Quote for Groundhog Day
“There is no way that this winter is *ever* going to end as long as this groundhog keeps seeing his shadow. I don’t see any other way out. He’s got to be stopped. And I have to stop him. ”
Phil Conner from Groundhog Day (played by Bill Murray), yes, I think the groundhog must be STOPPED!!!!