Unemployment Up Again but only a little to 8.6% June 2009
Stats Canada has published it’s monthly employment figures for June 2009 and the numbers are not remarkably different from last month’s numbers, which is a good thing, given the huge leaps we have seen in the past few months.
Employment was little changed in June, leaving total net losses during the last three months at 13,000, much smaller than the 273,000 decline in the first three months of the year. The unemployment rate edged up 0.2 percentage points to 8.6% in June, as more people looked for work.
Youth Unemploymentwas not good either with this summer upon us:
Youth aged 15 to 24 were hard hit in June, with losses of 33,000. Their unemployment rate went up a full percentage point to 15.9%, the highest rate in 11 years. Employment losses for youth in June were offset by gains among people aged 55 and over.
So the nearly retired crowd seem to be getting jobs, but students in the summer are not?
Around the Financial Whirled
A short sprint around the financial blog world shows a few bloggers on vacation and others enjoying the fruits of their labours as well:
- As mentioned earlier this week iBankCoin Blog is the top Canadian Financial Blogger (by the Globe and Mail at least). His post yesterday about How about a F***ing Stick in Your Eye seems to be standard for his site, so I guess Canadians enjoy a bit of ribald humor and obscenities when it comes to their financial blogs.
- Michael James (my personal choice for top financial blogger) mentions the Liability Loopholes in Credit Card Fraud that you might want to take notice of.
- The Canadian Capitalist asks is Cash For Clunkers Coming to Canada? Is it a wise thing for the government to delve into?
- Larry MacDonald posts the 398th way to save money (the previous 397 had been written in a book by Squawkfox.com ).
- The Canadian Tax Resource wrote about the Top 5 Income Tax Myths , well worth a read.
- I almost had dinner with Riscario Insider this week, but my schedule refused to budge, but he did comment about Popularity Contest: The Best Money Blogs.
- How did Preet from WhereDoesAllMyMoneyGo fair in the Ultimate Expert W Challenge?
Have a great weekend.
Previous Months Unemployment for 2009
- Unemployment Up Sharply to 7.2% in January 2009 the impact of the great meltdown was starting to settle in.
- Bad Unemployment and No Pensions for February 2009 things were very not good back then.
- Unemployment Up Again to 8.0% March 2009 not too surprising really. March was still deep in the heart of the meltdown.
- Unemployment Up a Bit for April 2009 so these are the actual Unemployed count from Stats Canada
- More Folks on EI in April 2009 – a sad time still
- Unemployment Numbers up a Little – The numbers for June 2009
- For July 2009 Unemployment Rate Hovers – is this a plateau? Hard to tell.
- Better Employment Numbers September 2009 – shows that life started to get better as 2009 went on. We hoped.
- Less Employed in October 2009 8.6% Unemployed – OK so our hopes were dashed for a while.
- November 2009 Employment Numbers: A Festivus Miracle! a month early for Festivus, but good news, is good news.
- Nothing New on Jobs Front for December 2009 the year did not end with a bang unfortunately.