They Got Around to Me
This week, TD got around to raising the interest rates on my Lines of Credit finally, interesting because when they announced they were increasing Mortgage rates and their “prime” rate, nothing seemed to happen to these accounts, but I guess they finally got around to me. My guess is these changes are effective the date of the announcement (i.e. June 1st), so whoopee, another 1/4% point up on me (now paying 3.5%). I was hoping they might miss me, but, no such luck, Interest Rates while sometimes negotiable, go up when the bank says so.
With the Markets taking another pounding this week, looks as though a Summer Swoon may be hitting the investment world, that may only recover in September (or later). I am hoping for at least a slight bounce back, before that date, but I am not confident that it will happen.
Remember that if you enjoy these weekly review of useful links in Personal Finance and Investing to subscribe to my twitter feed where I retweet many great articles by some of my featured writers (and make the occasional odd or off colour commentary on life (in 140 characters or less)). Also remember my RSS feed is available too, for those who enjoy reading without looking at my archaic page lay out.
From the Financial Blog World
This week some interesting turns of phrase and content caught my eye:
- How will the HST affect you is a big question that the Canadian Capitalist tackles. He has a great turn of phrase, “…despite the shrill opposition from the Tories and the NDP…” how descriptive and fun!
- CRA Decision Making is an ironic title from Michael James about his continuing disagreement with our friends at the CRA, and whether he must sell a kidney on E-bay to pay off his alleged debt. Maybe he should read Tackling the Tax Man.
- Should I start the Smith Manoeuvre? is a rhetorical question from the Million Dollar Journey, as I think they have already made up their mind. My opinion would be No but I have spoken about this before in my early days and still agree with what I wrote 5 years ago.
- Preet outlines Financial Advisor Compensation Options to help you figure out how to choose this advisor and how you want them to make their money while serving you best.
- Time to get a 3-D TV set? asks Larry MacDonald? I think anything that relies on me keeping a set of glasses safe and findable in my house already tipped the scales towards the answer No!
- The Canadian Couch Potato interviewed Keither Matthews to come up with 9 secrets of the Empowered Investor however it is not nearly as hilarious as my own Top 10 excuses for Getting into debt
- Stock up when things go on sale? Gail V-O discusses that falacy of savings, interesting point of view.
- Speaking of Tax issues Canadian Financial DIY posted about Canadian TaxPayers’ Ombudsman Office well worth contacting them if you think you might have tax issues.
- The Balance Junkie takes makes a bold attempt at prognostication with the article Where is the Stock Market Headed Next?, I don’t make those statements, because I have managed to predict 8 out of the last 2 stock market booms.
Enjoy this glorious June weekend, although in Ottawa it might be cold and wet. Visit these sites and others to help expand your Personal Finance Acumen.