If you didn’t know that Christmas was coming, then you really must live in a cave, or have astounding abilities to ignore all the crap in front of you. The Christmas season rages on, with Chanukah over we can concentrate on the spending orgy at hand which is the Christmas Season. Time to go on line and do some more shopping. Anybody else notice that there are many boxes being left (unattended) at folks front door steps?
BMO and many other companies are showing great Christmas cheer by announcing layoffs for the Holiday Season (truly the gift that keeps on giving). Having been laid off, there really is no good time for this, but at Christmas that is just being cruel, and piling on.
In Ontario, the Government decided to play “fun with numbers” and announced that electricity fees will go up only 33% over the next 3 years, well they didn’t say that, they amortized it over a much longer period and came up with a much lower number. Given that after 3 years “all bets are off” when it comes to any government or utility spending, the true horizon is 3 years at best, so maybe it is finally time for me to go look into what Solar Power might cost me? Certainly time to get rid of my electric clothes dryer and put in a natural gas one (again).
My Weekly Recap
My Writings for Week Ending November 29nd
Christmas Come for the Holiday but Don’t Leave Unable to Pay!
I stole that line from a very good post on Business Insider, but I do agree with it. How can you beat 30% ?
I think Cash as a gift has gotten a very bad rap. Money is money, and if you can spend it anywhere, what has a gift card got over cash?
I got a comment asking for help writing the letter for CDB back dating, so I figured I’d publish it and help any other folks still fighting.
A bit “Grinchy” on my part, but still we need to laugh during this stressful time of the year.
Swiss Army Knife Section
I have renamed this section mostly because it isn’t just the best Financial posts of the week, I include other esoteric things like science and technology in here too:
- Rabble.ca had a different point of view with TFSA program is an attack on our tax system, an interesting point of view, I think.
- Michael James seems to be espousing the demise of the Tax System with Tax-Free Savings Accounts - How TFSAs Can Make You Rich
- If there was ever anyone who needs a Special Big Cajun Financial Advisor this guy really needs him (or at least I need to “help” him). Wouldn’t mind swimming in his pool though (the link is a bit NSFW).
- Gail Vaz-Oxlade wants you to find any Lost Money you may have left in old bank accounts (you should send her a 10% cut if you do find money (just sayin)).
- My wife was helping out at the Church on something called Christian Ed, and I wondered to Mosques have Muslim Muhammad programs? Do Synagogues have Jewish Jacob programs? OK, line crossed.
- Mark from My Own Advisor continues his series What’s in your portfolio? Dividend Ninja discussing with highly respected bloggers what is in their portfolios.
- For football fans I give you Paul Hornung Hopes It “Snows And Rains Like A Bitch” At The Super Bowl. The Super Bowl is in New Jersey (in February) this year, it’s gonna be interesting.
- For hockey fans we have KHL team hires women in lingerie to sell tickets, ‘cheer up fans’ (NSFW) I’d buy tickets there is all I am saying (don’t care if it was for Cricket).
- Rush Limbaugh is taking on Pope Francis (about his overly Christian ideas about helping the poor), if I was betting I’d take Pope Francis and the points, unless it snows.
- One Million and Beyond seems to think Holiday Spending to be up again, Is yours? I hope not is my only answer to that question.
- Mark The Blunt Bean Counter shies away from the Holiday season and goes with good strong financial commentary with Should You Transfer Your Sole Proprietorship into a Corporation?
- Marie from Boomer and Echo jumps into the Christmas Season with 10 Useless Kitchen Gadgets , I have added a few to the list (Olive Pitter, Deluxe Meat Slicer, Belgian Waffle Maker, etc., etc.,).
- Preet went festive stealing my thunder with This holiday, consider skipping gift cards, in the Globe and Mail.
What if the Sopranos were on Sesame Street?
Better still what if Ernie and Bert were real people?
For You Golfers
Top this shot, wow.
Remember my RSS feed is available too, and I have added an RSS Comment Feed as well. Have a look at my micro-blog on Twitter, where you can see a whole plethora of good articles and pithy comments by me as well. Twitter feed where I re-tweet many great articles by some of my featured writers (and make the occasional odd or off colour commentary on life (in 140 characters or less)). I am also on reddit, Tumblr, Pinterest and other Social Media sites (look for the BigCajunMan userid) as well.
If you have social media accounts, don’t forget to vote for my posts (see the nifty dashboard on the bottom of each article, where you can cast your votes).As they say in Quebec, vote early and vote often! This site is iPhone Friendly (and Android , iPod Touch and iPad Friendly), enjoy it on the go, in a readable format for the device. If you are reading with an iPhone or Android device, drop me a comment and tell me if this needs any improvements. This site is also in the Kindle Blog list, if you are interested.