The “beautiful game” continues on with the World Cup causing a huge drop in productivity world wide (I’d like to see a study on that if there is one that exists). We already know of the half-time kettel effect in the UK, where there is a spike in electricity usage at half-time of football matches, and we have an entire film based around the half-time toilet effect (Flushed Away), but no study on lost work due to the World Cup? C’mon it’s gotta be out there somewhere!
If you want to buy a movie about Football and Rats click here!
One of my son’s favorite movies, where else can you see Hugh Jackman play a rat, hear far too many bad jokes about frogs, and about folks peeing in the London sewer system? As for Flushed Away, I suppose that is how the Spanish Football fans feel? (too soon?)
Did I mention sewers? I test drove a very good car, that I would have gladly bought, except it had a stench in it that made it impossible to purchase. It’s previous owner was a heavy cigar smoker, but after it had been shampooed vigorously, it was left with it’s windows shut (unfortunately). The combination of smells almost caused my olphactory system to eject itself from my head. I can still smell that smell, and now I really comprehend the Seinfeld episode, the Smelly Car.
The Washington Redskins have had their Trademark revoked, so it will be harder for them to protect their brand name (just the name, not their insignia). I was a fan of the Washington NFL Team, but I also think it’s time to think about a name change. The Washington Bullets (of the NBA) changed their name, why can’t the Washington Football team?
My Writings for Week Ending June 20th
It is almost St. Jean Baptiste day (in Quebec), which signifies the start of the summer pour Les Quebecois, good times:
- I remembered an issue I had buying the first Big C8j Mansion and outlined it in Credit Checks Can Cause Issues, remember every time someone looks at your Credit File, someone else notes that they did it!
- I also hated when I bought the current Big C8j Abode having to pay the Land Transfer Tax, and feel it is an important part of the planning for any new house.
- I had a picture of my cat sitting in a flower basket and I figured out a way to include it in a post, seriously, that is how some of these posts get written, Animals and Costs Revisited.
This Week’s Finest
Who is left alive in Game of Thrones? Who cares, who is left alive in the Ontario Provincial elections is a more interesting question:
- Mark at 2nd Career Search took his CFP exam and felt it was a Humbling Experience, but then again, he hasn’t taken an exam since they used HB pencils filling in boxes and scanning of the results, no wait….
- In my attempts to make you much more paranoid about the Internet, I give you Tapped in: How your phone gives you up to companies and criminals, please read and learn to be discrete on line.
- Kerry at Squawkfox showed a picture of a Cyclist with no helmet carrying a chainsaw in Holland, I can’t top that.
“I give you one helmetless commuter cycling with a chainsaw. Only in Amsterdam. #quirky “
- Preet has been enjoying Dutch Treats as well, you’d have seen a few if you followed his Twitter feed.
- I still have over 2000 Tweety followers, I guess my next goal is 2500 (or maybe to not drop back down to 1000)?
- Michael Schumacher is out of his coma and is out of hospital, but it sounds like he has a long journey to recovery.
- The Blunt Bean Counter helps us all out with a bunch of Excellent Income Tax Resources, go there and add these resources to your RSS feeds and your Tweety feeds.
- Paul Krugman at the NY Times points out that You Can’t Have a Wage-Price Spiral Without Wages, which sounds obvious, but note prices are going up, but pay is not?!?
- Michael James is slowing down for the summer, however he does give us an enjoyable Rant Which is the Best Credit Card, note the TD Visa card ad, at the end of this section.
- I note that my Alexa rankings have been going up steadily with this new server set up that I have, I wonder why? You’d think I’d know more about my own business, but a lot of this SEO and Web Site fondness crap is just like High School Popularity to me (I never understood it).
- I have a subscription to Audible.com and this weekend I enjoyed possibly the funniest Audio Book ever, Go the F*ck to Sleep as read by Sam Jackson, I had to pull over I was laughing too hard.
- Chuck Noll former Head Coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers passed away last weekend, while Vince Lombardi is lauded as the greatest NFL coach ever, I think Chuck Noll deserves to be mentioned in the same group as Lombardi.
- Mark from My Own Advisor is trying to save on monthly costs with Why I cut Rogers and went to Fongo Home Phone, sounds like something I might look into, or at least threaten Bell with.
- With the coronation of Queen Kathleen of Ontario we must now figure out What is the Ontario Pension Plan, and luckily Barry from Money we have gives it a shot (and includes the Power Puff Girls, so that is cool too).
A Real Football Video
How could Durex condoms make a funny ad for the World Cup? Enjoy, and it is very Safe For Work (unless you don’t like football embelishments):
Bat Dad Rises
Yes, Bat Dad returns, this time showing that he is a vulnerable super hero as well:
Remember my RSS feed
is available too, and I have added an RSS Comment Feed
as well. Have a look at my micro-blog on Twitter, where you can see a whole plethora of good articles and pithy comments by me as well. Twitter feed
where I re-tweet many great articles by some of my featured writers (and make the occasional odd or off colour commentary on life (in 140 characters or less)). I am also on reddit
and other Social Media sites (look for the BigCajunMan
userid) as well. If you have social media accounts, don’t forget to vote
for my posts (see the nifty dashboard on the bottom of each article, where you can cast your votes).As they say in Quebec, vote early and vote often! This site is iPhone Friendly
, iPod Touch
Friendly), enjoy it on the go, in a readable format for the device. If you are reading with an iPhone or Android device, drop me a comment and tell me if this needs any improvements. This site is also in the Kindle Blog list,if you are interested.