Happy Pi Day! Yes it is March the 14, which makes today’s date 3.14 or Pi (to three digits accuracy). Mathematicians and Geeks world wide will be eating Pies and celebrating the day. Next year at 9:26 AM it will be the best Pi day possible because March 14th 2015 at 9:26 AM translates to 3.1415926 (which is Pi to 7 digits accuracy). Yes, we in the world of Math need to get out more (or just need to eat more pies).
It is March Break for kids in Ontario this week, which means many parents have been scrambling around trying to find things for their kids to do. One of them is leaving them in the McDonald’s play structure all day long? You know you could take them to a Museum instead, or skating, or swimming? Mrs. C8j was not impressed at what a lunatic asylum the Play Area looked like and quickly escaped from it with L’il C8j in tow.
President Obama decided that his approval rating was in the crapper, so the best thing to do was appear on “Between Two Ferns” with Zach G. (from the many Hangover movies and such). If the President wishes to really help his approval rating, I will gladly do a Podcast with him about March Madness or better still why he didn’t just outsource his Socialized medicine idea to Canada? You can watch the video at the end of this article.
It snowed in Ottawa this week, no it really snowed! Just Mother Nature reminding us that just when you think Spring might be near, you are sorely mistaken.
My Weekly Recap
My Writings for Week Ending March 14th
Stats Canada paints a not glowing happy picture on job creation, but at least we aren’t losing jobs (yet).
Why would someone choose to carry debt? Evidently it’s a normal way to think for some folks.
There are no Trolls working at the CRA that I have seen (maybe they work under a bridge somewhere, but from my vantage point none work in their buildings).
An idea on how you can use a religious idea to help out with your financial situation.
Swiss Army Knife Section
The Swiss are more excited about Einstein’s birthday I would guess:
- Bloomberg Business Week wonders is it Time for Smarter Rules on Digital Money ? I think the comment about Mt. Gox being , “… the worst-run business in the history of the world,…” I couldn’t stop reading.
- The Economist wrote about Mike Parker, typographer, died on February 23rd, aged 84 , and you might say, who is he? He was the Guardian/Defender of the world’s favorite font Helvetica.
- Speaking of fancy and expensive journals and magazines Kerry at Squawkfox wrote Use Zinio and your Library Card Read Digital Magazines for Free, yes it works in Ottawa too!
- The NY Times Money section seems to imply Men and Women view money planning differently with Mars, Venus and the Handling of Money , wonder why they thought that?
- LSM Insurance wrote about Bill 157 (in Ontario) The Insurance Experts Weigh In, which would create the Financial Advisers Act, wonder if I have to adhere to this standard?
- The New Scientist points out that Open Source University courses are a good thing but Online university courses can’t change the world alone .
- Now that I can read all these great magazines, maybe I should learn how to speed read? First read The Truth About Speed Reading from Lifehacker. I actually listen to a lot of books, wonder if there is any speed listening?
- Before Smartphones the most famous OMG movie was the Zapruder film: Images as history, pre-smartphone , remember when things happened and there weren’t cameras around to see them? Did they really happen?
- It may be tax season but don’t believe any e-mail sent to you from the CRA asking for information to be sent via e-mail.
- The NY Times also had A Story of Perseverance ESPN Anchor’s Private Battle With Cancer Becomes a Public One , everyday he fights.
- Michael James takes on Debunking RRSP Myths with Pictures , and nice pictures they are.
- Must be debunking myth week with Mark at My Own Advisor writing about 3 Big Fat Myths about Critical Illness Insurance
- Larry MacDonald asks How should Canadian house prices be cooled off?
- Barry at Money We Have also adds more about houses Canadian housing: What We Should Know
- Mark at 2nd Career Search gives us a glimpse of the living hell that is the US Tax code with Withdraw Money from Your IRA Without Penalty , it even mentions Alpacas, and has a neat picture.
- The Blunt Bean Counter takes money out of his own pocket to give us Income Tax Preparation Tips (he could charge you for this service).
- Preet brings us a new podcast with Discussing The Financial Advisors Act of Ontario with @WillBrittonCFP (PODCAST)
Wonder if Obama Would be MY Guest?
I am no Zach G. but I could find two ferns pretty easily:
I Like Trains
Actually my son loves trains, and loves watching this video as well:
Finally, a Hockey Fight (with a Happy Ending)
Who says fighting in hockey is as fake as the WWE ?
Remember my RSS feed is available too, and I have added an RSS Comment Feed as well. Have a look at my micro-blog on Twitter, where you can see a whole plethora of good articles and pithy comments by me as well. Twitter feed where I re-tweet many great articles by some of my featured writers (and make the occasional odd or off colour commentary on life (in 140 characters or less)). I am also on reddit, Tumblr, Pinterest and other Social Media sites (look for the BigCajunMan userid) as well.
If you have social media accounts, don’t forget to vote for my posts (see the nifty dashboard on the bottom of each article, where you can cast your votes).As they say in Quebec, vote early and vote often! This site is iPhone Friendly (and Android , iPod Touch and iPad Friendly), enjoy it on the go, in a readable format for the device. If you are reading with an iPhone or Android device, drop me a comment and tell me if this needs any improvements. This site is also in the Kindle Blog list, if you are interested.