The Olympics have already started, even though the “Opening Ceremonies” are today. Should be interesting to see how this all works, but I am still puzzled as to why the Soshi Olympic Stadium seems to resemble the Big Owe in Montreal? A leaning mast and a bowl stadium is so avant garde now? Lots of interesting stories of corruption, and things not being built on time and such, which also sounds a lot like the 1976 Olympic Games in Montreal as well, interesting the parallels.
The Super Bowl game was a yawner, which no one seemed to think would happen, but I remember some real crappy games in the 80′s and 90′s so not a big surprise, for me. When I miss the first score of the game because I was chatting with Mrs. C8j, you know the game is going to be a snoozer. On the positive side, there was one of Michael James’ favorite plays where the Denver centre did indeed, SNAP IT OVER HIS HEAD!!!™
Bill Nye has been in the news a lot these days, but this week he debated noted creationist Ken Ham. Now I must preface this with the statement that I am a Church going Anglican, but I find the creationist argument flawed at best (completely nutty in it’s worst interpretations). I believe in God, yet I also think the Bible is an interesting story written by many different folks, and then revised in the 1500′s, it is important, but I don’t view it as the “Dummies Guide to All Things”™, either. I will include the debate video from NPR at the end of this post.
My hunt for a quieter laptop computer continues. I have an HP furnace currently, that overheats and runs its fans constantly, so if anyone has any suggestions for a quiet laptop computer (or Tablet/Keyboard combination), feel free to chime in here.
My Weekly Recap
Swiss Army Knife Section
Not a great deal of Olympic chat out there just yet, but some other interesting topics mentioned this week:
- Who says that Popular Science is boring? A High-Tech Bra That Unhooks Only For ‘True Love’ is an interesting concept that I want to know more about!
- How about a handbag that stops you from spending? Introducing the iBag, a concept for now, but I’d like to get one, myself. Demo video after the Creationism debate.
- Mark at the Blunt Bean Counter gives us How Much Money do I Need to Retire? Heck if I Know or Anyone Else Does! - Part 1 a very interesting topic.
- But how do you Work Out Your Retirement Magic Number ? Michael James gives it a try, he seems to differ from Mark.
- Given Homer Simpson owns the Denver Broncos, if they had won would he have retired from the Power Plant?
- Ellen Roseman tweeted about how Group Purchase sites are not covered under by The Gift Card Laws in Ontario, loverly.
- Robb from Boomer & Echo points out that TD e-Series Funds: Not Just For Beginners, and that simple does not mean stupid, in terms of Index Funds at least.
- You are never married to one bank or trading company and the Canadian Capitalist brings us How to Painlessly Transfer your Account from one Broker to Another useful advice.
- In U.S. Colleges NCAA Athletes play in Indentured Servitude but that may be changing College football players want to join union
- If you watch closely in the next few weeks you will see the massive celebrations I will be having for my 2500th post !
- Anybody need a free copy of TurboTax? Mark from My Own Advisor gives us 2013 Tax Tips and TurboTax Canada giveaway.
- The Huffington Post reported TD Bank CEO Ed Clark: Soaring Debt Loads Making Canada’s Economy ‘Fragile’, no kidding?
- Second Career Search takes an interesting philosophical tact The Rich Need to Reduce Income Inequality
- Evidently during the Super Bowl if you Ordered a Pizza from Papa John’s and used the Phrase, “Peyton“, your pizza was delivered to your door, and then a Seahawk Defensive back appears, steals it and eats it in front of you.
- Luke Landes writes about The Cost of Raising a Child With Autism , and as you can guess it is not cheap, and just think about having to save for when you are not around.
- Let’s stuff the ballot box at Top Canadian Finance Blogs Poll 2014 vote for ME THE Canadian Personal Finance Site
- What is the future of television? Netflix and the future of television.by Ken Auletta in the New Yorker gives us an interesting view on that.
- A really interesting animation on Bill Gates on Vaccines: An RSA Animation well worth watching (I included that after the high tech handbag too).
Creationism vs. Evolution
A “Smart” Handbag?
Vaccination What is it Good For?
Watch this and learn from Bill Gates
Remember my RSS feed is available too, and I have added an RSS Comment Feed as well. Have a look at my micro-blog on Twitter, where you can see a whole plethora of good articles and pithy comments by me as well. Twitter feed where I re-tweet many great articles by some of my featured writers (and make the occasional odd or off colour commentary on life (in 140 characters or less)). I am also on reddit, Tumblr, Pinterest and other Social Media sites (look for the BigCajunMan userid) as well.
If you have social media accounts, don’t forget to vote for my posts (see the nifty dashboard on the bottom of each article, where you can cast your votes).As they say in Quebec, vote early and vote often! This site is iPhone Friendly (and Android , iPod Touch and iPad Friendly), enjoy it on the go, in a readable format for the device. If you are reading with an iPhone or Android device, drop me a comment and tell me if this needs any improvements. This site is also in the Kindle Blog list, if you are interested.