After seeing that Prince Andrew is jumping on the Self-Portrait bandwagon and someone else is having #Selfie Day, I do believe that fad has run its race and is done. It is a rather damning statement that we are into pictures of ourselves, seems the 21st Century is trying to out do the ME Century (20th Century).
The Quebec Election looms on Monday, and what will those wacky Quebec voters do? As a Quebec born patriot, I look forward to the rest of Canada attempting to explain this election, it will be entertaining. Remember Quebec gave you an Orange Tide in the last Federal election, what might they do Provincially? My hope was that the Rhinoceros party might make a comeback, but no matter what happens, the rest of Canada will be left scratching their heads wondering, “What were they thinking?”.
Only in Ottawa could you have a controversy over the name of a Football Team Mascot (that looks suspiciously like the Acadia Axeman). You got it Big Joe Mufferaw (a Stompin’ Tom classic (see below for a video)) was announced and then withdrawn as the name, now the mascot is simply called Large Man with Axe, no, it’s actually Big Joe. Evidently Mufferaw is a mispronunciation of a French Canadian name.
It was Autism awareness day on Wednesday, I didn’t write anything specific for it, since Autism Awareness is every day in the C8j homestead. I did post my previous rant about Autism & Advice, and it is important to understand that it looks like we have a generation which will include a lot of “different thinking” individuals, maybe we need to start thinking how this might work? I did wear Blue Underwear on the day, but I am not sure that counts as showing solidarity.
My Writings for Week Ending April 5th
Spring may finally have come back to Ottawa!
Low numbers from Stats Canada, yet prices keep going up, and I feel like I have less money, wonder if they take that into consideration?
A very ham-handed attempt at an April Fool’s joke, most folks read through it, wonder what someone might think of it if they read it on July 1st?
Yes, when I have nothing else to write and I have no ideas, I fall back on my Poetic roots. Having Welsh ancestry I just channel my inner Dylan Thomas (and drink myself into a stupor).
Maybe it would have been better to just buy my daughters two computers at the start of school, and avoid having this problem?
A veritable horn of plenty of interesting articles from the finance (and other categories) world:
- Author Michael Lewis was on CBS’ 60 Minutes and he made the statement That the Stock Market is Rigged, and the piece explained how high speed traders can get ahead of things, and profit from it. They use technologies weaknesses to their advantage, is that illegal is the question.
- What the heck is an ETF? No it is not Extra Terrestrial Farts (smart ass), but Mark from My Own Advisor gives us a quick run down with ETFs 101.
- The MIT Review used game theory on Bitcoin’s model and they Spy Weaknesses in Bitcoin’s Foundations we shall see if they are proven correct.
- Michael James started off with an April Fool’s post and the next day followed up with a real post More on CPP Changes conjecturing about how the system could be changed for the better.
- Time has a very interesting article about Why Millennials Would Choose a Root Canal Over Listening to a Banker , they hope for a bank free world? I just hope for a less rigged monetary system.
- What Could You Do With $5 A Day? Boomer and Echo give you a few ideas.
- The Blunt Bean Counter is getting optimistic that we will be able to retire so he gives us a Retirement Planning Spreadsheet , does it have a wish button?
- Quartz has a very interesting set of comparisons of The inexplicable prices in hotel minibars around the world, why is Water more expensive than Vodka in Zurich?
- Mark from 2nd Career Search gives us Some Observations on Toronto and Canada , from a former Montrealer a fair description.
- The Motley Fools gives us One-Sentence Financial Rules, and didn’t charge us $40 to read it!
- Kerry at Squawkfox asks Would you Buy H&M’s $99 Wedding Dress? Sure, does it come in a 44 tall? I think I could pull it off.
- Rewards Cards Canada points out Why Aeroplan Collectors Are Fed Up With Their Rewards Program, I know I am and I have been a member of Aeroplan since 1987!
- Barry at Money We Have gives us Calculating The Real Financial Cost Of An MBA, does anybody really want an MBA any more? Is it still relevant?
- It must be Spring Preet has woken up from his Blogging hibernation and gives us a commentary on how AdvisOrs could earn $1 Million more over their career by lowering costs for investors, WHAT?!?!? That is crazy talk Preet.
Give ‘em Heck Gail!
Gail Vaz-Oxlade gives debtors heck on City TV
Only in Ottawa could you have a controversy about the name of a Football team’s mascot:
A New Monty Python Video
It is called the Silly Walk Song, however, the chorus is “Money is the root of evil”, so very topical too!
If you have social media accounts, don’t forget to vote for my posts (see the nifty dashboard on the bottom of each article, where you can cast your votes).As they say in Quebec, vote early and vote often! This site is iPhone Friendly (and Android , iPod Touch and iPad Friendly), enjoy it on the go, in a readable format for the device. If you are reading with an iPhone or Android device, drop me a comment and tell me if this needs any improvements. This site is also in the Kindle Blog list, if you are interested.