It seems the City of Toronto may return to its normal smell soon, with the garbage clean up beginning today, thanks to the resolution of the strike which has turned parking lots and outdoor rinks into temporary garbage dumps. I am really astounded at how long this strike was allowed to run, without any intervention by the Provincial government. At the least this was a health issue, why was it allowed to take 5 weeks to get resolved? Luckily it has been a cooler summer, however with all that rain, where did all that run off go, Lake Ontario or the ground water around these temporary dumps?
Another smell is rising in Montreal however with the disclosures coming out of the Earl Jones Ponzi scheme as well. The Bon Vivant lifestyle lived by this “financial advisor” is coming out and naturally his victims are not happy with what they are hearing. To hear that someone in the financial investment world was “Living La Vida Loca” is no surprise, but I guess when folks find out how much of their money was used to support this lifestyle they get a little upset.
From the Financial Blogosphere
With the wet days of summer continuing here in Ottawa, I am sure the sales of immersible pumps and shop vacs has been sky rocketing, but in the financial blogging world other topics were brought up as well:
- Michael James gives his opinion as to Why Company Pensions Are at Risk, anyone with a pension needs to think about this issue, and make sure they can deal with a pension “adjustment”.
- Canadian Financial DIY reviews a book that discusses Market Timing and thinks it might work after a few decades.
- An interesting new blog I am reading the Rich Christian asks Do You Have a Personal Mission Statement ?
- Promod at Riscario asks Is an Executive Physical Worth the Bother? I think for the employer it is, and for their insurance company.
- Larry MacDonald did a quick survey of what experts are saying Earl Jones might get as punishment for his financial dalliances, the responses are surprising.
- Preet at WhereDoesAllMyMoneyGo provides a quick set of links to check to see if your Advisor is Registered, which is useful to know.
Have a great long weekend fellow Ontarians! I may or may not post on Monday.