The Big “V” and Awkward Moments
As my friends know I am the person most folks ask about Vasectomies (yes that Big “V”), since I tell stories of both of my Vasectomies (did I ever do a post about that one?), so it was funny (to me) when the Prime Minister of New Zealand brought the subject up, and got an uncomfortable response from some reporters. The question Did it hurt? is the atypical question for men who have not had a Vasectomy. My response is simple, What do you think?, I love answering questions with questions.
No, that is not the best financial topic I could have precursed the Random Thoughts with, but it’s my kind of story, because it’s funny (to me).
Financially the markets continue to bob up and down like an oil covered duck in the Gulf of Mexico (and almost as slimy too). Will the markets stabilize? Will Interest rates continue to double? Why are you asking me, I am no expert, I am more the Jon Stewart of Financial Discussions (i.e. I allegedly report, but I am actually just making fun of the whole thing).
We did have another meeting of the National Capital Bloggers Association, where yet again we proved just how cheap we can be at a Kelsey’s restaurant (attendees Larry MacDonald, Canadian Capitalist, Michael James and myself), Preet was suspicious by his absence (but then again the fact that he doesn’t live in Ottawa might be an extenuating circumstance):
- The Canadian Capitalist pointed out a few BMO InvestorLine Trading Glitches and strangely at the meeting he was wearing a Questrade T-shirt, interesting.
- In the Car Warranty Shuffle Michael James tells a story of a friend who is faced with a warranty that he paid for that no one wants to honour.
- Larry MacDonald tries to find out where to put his money in Moving cash to higher interest rates, where higher means not great but better than nothing.
- Canadian Financial DIY points out that this blog and many others could be made redundant by his Guest Post: Money Advice by a Six Year Old, good advice, wonder if he wants to do a Guest Post on my site?
- The Million Dollar Journey had their own Guest Blogger who wrote about The Importance of Paying Attention to Financial Statements, if someone sends you something, you should read it.
- Preet is really branching out into MultiMedia Maven with the introduction of an iTunes App version of KYA, and he has received Some Constructive Feedback on the Know Your Advisor Tool. I am still sore at him for not selecting me to get a free iPad (full disclosure).
- The Canadian Couch Potato writes an interesting overview in Under the Hood: BMO Real Return Bond I find this interesting because I didn’t even know this kind of investment vehicle existed. Interesting post.
- What Is in a Mutual Fund’s Prospectus? Gail V-O does a quick outline, but in my estimation, point (4) is where you start from.
- The wealthy boomer advises us to Fasten your Seat Belts for the Bond Roller Coaster which I keep hearing about, hopefully won’t make me as sick as the coasters at Canada’s Wonderland.
- Ellen Roseman points out How to cancel your fitness club membership which you should do if you aren’t going, maybe move to a pay per use model and see how much that costs?
My Posts for the Week of June 4th
In case you missed any of my posts this week here is a quick list of them:
- Book Review: Tacking the Tax Man not a bad book, if you want to get horrified by the CRA (and a letter to the PM to help the Nortel Long Term Disability folks)
- OMG Bank of Canada Rates up 100%where I have fun with numbers, and report interest rate increases (sort of a Win, Win for me
- The Found Money Trap where I point out that people who don’t need my advice, don’t need my advice.
- Self Insured Company Disability Plans pointing out how dangerous relying on insurance that is not so safe can be.
- Video: Prisoners of Debt which points out that Debt Crisis-es (sic) continue to happen every 10 years or so.
Have a great weekend!
Thanks for the link – see you in Montreal for the GP? I am indeed heading up…
I may be in Montreal during the weekend, but I can’t afford to attend that! I have kids!!! Have fun, and wear hearing protection (I can usually hear the engines from my parents home on the other side of Mount Royal).
It takes a brave man to talk about how his studliness shoots blanks. Or a wise one — as in come into my lair you unmarried ladies and I’ll be your
eunuch. I bet this post gets lost in the spam filter too!
Surprisingly it did not, but it should have been, I guess.
You’d think that Politics 101 would teach not to discuss vasectomies with reporters.
Maybe in New Zealand that’s a big topic of conversation?