fbpx

Blood Diamonds

in Frugality, Off Topic, Poor, Video

Last night on my regular Friday Night Movie night we tripped across a movie we normally wouldn’t have watched, but ended up enjoying a great deal. The movie was Blood Diamond and it is a dramatization about a family, a huge diamond, the Diamond Cartel and the violent world that the Bling on your Ring can come from.

Diamonds have no intrinsic value, other than as an industrial abrasive and a few other industrial roles (being the hardest substance on earth), yet we are supposed to spend at least 3 months (gross) salary to buy one, to show someone we love, just how much we love them. A very interesting personal finance issue.

Anybody thinking of buying a diamond, I would suggest watching Blood Diamond (I rented it from the Ottawa Public Library) and this interesting documentary too.

I must warn you gentle reader both the Dramatization and this very graphic video does have scenes and photos that are very disturbing, and should not be viewed by younger folks.

• larry macdonald July 12, 2010, 11:52 AM

But Diamonds are a Girl’s Best friend — i.e after the “louse” has departed you still have something of value. I once took a diamond ring to the jeweler for cleaning/fixing and they switched some of the diamonds for lower grade cuts.

• bigcajunman July 12, 2010, 12:40 PM

Diamonds might be some girls best friends, but if you watch the videos some poor ladies may not be as fond of them.

• benjamin bankruptcy July 11, 2010, 10:19 PM

There have been steps to remove conflict diamonds from sale and you can get certified conflict free diamonds but if you’re frugal and you want to buy a “vintage” diamond there’s no way of knowing

• bigcajunman July 12, 2010, 5:38 AM

Evidently these measures work somewhat, but then again, stopping the flow of diamonds is what the cartel does best.

• Brian July 10, 2010, 10:35 AM

Thanks for posting this video. It’s a real eye opener. I think I’ll feel better purchasing canadian diamons enstead.

• bigcajunman July 10, 2010, 1:30 PM

Indeed but the same cartel runs the Canadian Diamonds too (I think).