For those who have not been following me on twitter you have been missing out on some helpful (if not sarcastic) job hunting tips that I learned throughout my job hunt a few years back.
Christmas Wishes from the Past
I seem to do this a lot, so here are my Christmas wishes from years gone by:
- Merry Christmas 2020 ! Do you see the pussy cat in the tree? An odd year with a Pandemic and all. Christmas All Year Round ? Yes, it does feel like that these days doesn’t it? The 12 Days of Christmas Debt ? What the heck ? That isn’t Christmasy at all!
- Merry Christmas 2017 ! That was a year of fun videos that I found to help celebrate the holiday. Love that old CFCF fill.
- Merry Christmas, Highspeed Internet a right, Inflation at 1.2 and #MoneyTalk 2016 ! Sheesh, I couldn’t even be bothered to send a message that year, how Grinchy.
- Merry Christmas 2014 ! A lovely quote from the King James bible for that year. Seem to have done nothing for 2015. This year I even had a Christmas Eve post.
- Happy Christmas 2013 ! I loved the photos of every years Christmas Tree, very festive. Another Christmas Eve post too.
- Merry Christmas 2012 ! You see the hideous curtains we had in the den back then. That year we had the $150 Christmas challenge too.
- Merry Christmas 2011 ! The tree moved back to the front room and I used Google Translate to create a festive message. Think I was on French training that year. Also At Christmas Why Not Just Give Cash ?
- Merry Christmas 2010 has some very deep philosophical commentary in it. Must have been hitting the Christmas cheer early. Christmas Eve that year must have been a Friday.
- Merry Christmas 2009 and all you got was an NFB short? Not that bad really. There was also Christmas Eve thoughts too.
- Merry Christmas 2008 ! That was the year of the infamous Financial Advent Calendar too.
- A few last Yuletide Thoughts was what I had in 2007.
- Merry Christmas 2006 ! A quieter year I suppose.
- Whatever little money you have, make sure you spend it… was my first year writing here. Quite gruff and grinchy.
I have been on both sides of the interview table, so I have interjected a lot of my own pet peeves to this list for candidates that I have met and wondered what they were thinking when they showed up to my job interview.
They are worth a read, and many of them are applicable to all jobs (and some are me being a smart ass). Some of the best Job Hunting Tips:
|314||Always wear clean underwear to a job interview but never show them to your interviewer either|
|41||Tell someone you are using as a reference before you use them, “… who? That Idiot? I would never hire them!”, could be your reference. Ensure all your naked photos are well hidden on your social media as well.|
|271||Be Precise, e.g. “When I invented the Internet, I was working at…”, no one likes vagueness in job interviews|
|666||Be complimentary with your interviewer: “That outfit doesn’t make you look nearly as fat…”|
|69||Hygiene is important, always shower before your interview, ensure there is no green leafy things in your teeth either.|
|13||If anyone asks you about your religious views, claim to be a Druid or a follower of Zeus|
|44||Humor has a place but don’t do the Uncle Buck mole bit if interviewer has one (don’t be a twiddler)|
|313||One answer that always gets interviewer’s attention “Why the f*ck would you ask me that?”|
|535||Scents make you memorable at an interview, but don’t eat bean burritos 2 hours beforehand, you are too memorable then|
|345||Arguing with your interview about technical issues is OK, but will you being right (in your opinion) get you the job?|
|478||The more the interviewer talks, the better you are doing, except if they are yelling about your lack of skills|
|87||The only person you can “throw under the bus” in an interview is yourself, don’t blame others, explain why|
|101||It’s good to seem to know a lot, but very bad to appear to be a Know-it-all , keep that in mind|
|311||Network more with people who have jobs, not as much with folks who are also looking for jobs|
|444||Over 80% of jobs are found through “connections” and “contacts”, so get out and interact with folks!|
|665||When interviewer asks “Any questions”, do not ask, “What are your sick leave rules like?”, first.|
|3||Think you are indispensable? You may be, until you are dispensed, start looking for jobs before you are dispensed.|
|129||At the interview be sincere (once you can fake it, you are in)!|
|37||Be agreeable but not a suck-up (unless that is what they want, then be one), be yourself once you have the job|
|333||Don’t answer question “Where do you see yourself in 5 years?” with “Doing your job, or better your boss”|
Foolproof Job Hunting Tips
Hope these help, stay tuned I do have some more coming.