A while ago, I asked Do You Make More than You Did 5 Years Ago . I got some interesting responses on the question. Let us delve a little deeper into what I call Lifestyle Creep ™ which seems to be one of the things that may cause the economy to fall over, all by itself.
What do I mean by lifestyle creep? In my interpretation, it is the same as “Feature Creep”, a term used in High Tech Development teams, where someone keeps trying to shove more and more into a release of software or hardware, thus slowing things down, and eventually making the whole thing unusable. This scenario is pretty much what happens with young folks these days:
- Graduate with a debt load of student loans.
- Still need to start saving for a house, and things, because that is what you need to do
- You need a car to get around
- That furniture you have is really crappy, after all you aren’t a student any more
- The laptop stinks, it’s the same one from school, and it isn’t even supported any more
- Must need a Big Screen TV
- Good High Speed Internet access is important
- Need to go out with friends, after all you aren’t a hermit, life is short let’s have fun
- Man, this work thing is hard, must need a fun vacation
- Getting married, you can’t scrimp on that, after all you only get married once (hopefully)
- etc., etc.,
Christmas Wishes from the Past
I seem to do this a lot, so here are my Christmas wishes from years gone by:
- Merry Christmas 2020 ! Do you see the pussy cat in the tree? An odd year with a Pandemic and all. Christmas All Year Round ? Yes, it does feel like that these days doesn’t it? The 12 Days of Christmas Debt ? What the heck ? That isn’t Christmasy at all!
- Merry Christmas 2017 ! That was a year of fun videos that I found to help celebrate the holiday. Love that old CFCF fill.
- Merry Christmas, Highspeed Internet a right, Inflation at 1.2 and #MoneyTalk 2016 ! Sheesh, I couldn’t even be bothered to send a message that year, how Grinchy.
- Merry Christmas 2014 ! A lovely quote from the King James bible for that year. Seem to have done nothing for 2015. This year I even had a Christmas Eve post.
- Happy Christmas 2013 ! I loved the photos of every years Christmas Tree, very festive. Another Christmas Eve post too.
- Merry Christmas 2012 ! You see the hideous curtains we had in the den back then. That year we had the $150 Christmas challenge too.
- Merry Christmas 2011 ! The tree moved back to the front room and I used Google Translate to create a festive message. Think I was on French training that year. Also At Christmas Why Not Just Give Cash ?
- Merry Christmas 2010 has some very deep philosophical commentary in it. Must have been hitting the Christmas cheer early. Christmas Eve that year must have been a Friday.
- Merry Christmas 2009 and all you got was an NFB short? Not that bad really. There was also Christmas Eve thoughts too.
- Merry Christmas 2008 ! That was the year of the infamous Financial Advent Calendar too.
- A few last Yuletide Thoughts was what I had in 2007.
- Merry Christmas 2006 ! A quieter year I suppose.
- Whatever little money you have, make sure you spend it… was my first year writing here. Quite gruff and grinchy.
How Does this Add Up So Quickly ?
Isn’t it easy for all of it to build? Before you know it, you are now paying off student loans, credit cards, car payments, and rent and thus you have no money to save with any more, but you have great earning potential, you’ll get a raise next year, and it will all be good.
Speaking as a 59-year-old, Lifestyle Creep ensures you never make enough to live up (or down) to your lifestyle.
Image courtesy of foto76 / FreeDigitalPhotos.net