Bill notification is less of a problem today. This was written back in 2015 and 90% of my bills are now electronic. I still have issues with email losing bills, but that is easily fixed. I have set up monthly reminders in my online calendar for most of the bills.
It used to be my bills showed up in my mailbox ( Canada Post mailbox). I opened the bills, I piled them up and once a week I’d pay them (online). The system worked fine. It was better than the old system of either mailing (Canada Post) cheques out, or going to the bank and paying bills there.
In the past few years, things have changed. Various firms started offering to send me bills in electronic format. This sounded interesting to me, however, I like my paper bills. Back then e-mail systems were a little flakey (and untrustworthy). Then I started getting charged for getting my beloved paper bills, which annoyed the crap out of me. That is when I started to get some of my bills electronically. This has now created a veritable electronic tsunami of bills.
Allow me to elaborate on the many ways my bills arrive:
- Some bills still arrive in my super mailbox down the road (yes I hate those too)
- Other bills are sent to my e-mail account (I try to have them show up to only 1 account, that way I don’t have to sift through my 15 different e-mail addresses).
- Still, others are sent to my e-post account (from Canada Post)
- An interesting side issue is that I get an E-post account with my TD accounts as well, however, I cannot merge my other E-post account with the TD version, thus the TD version is useless to me.
- Then some bills I have to go to a website to pick it up (but I get an e-mail to tell me the bill is available)
- Finally, other bills send me annoying text messages reminding me about payments due, and some do not
All of this really is getting under my skin, and also has succeeded in making me paranoid because last year for the first time I missed paying more than 4 different bills, which has never happened to me before (usually it is 1 a year). Is this due to the fact that I am barraged with bills from many different sources? I keep getting the feeling this “brave new world” may be passing me by. It is certainly making paying my bills on time a challenge.