My dislike of this clickbait is well known. Free advice is worth every penny you pay for it.
Why? I look back on almost 20 years of this site and figure I should have an updated list.
Top 5 Advice from the Big Cajun Man
Note these are not only writings about money and finance.
- Always pay for the first round. I learned this one early on, and it has served me well throughout my life.
- There is one thing to do before you retire. I won’t spoil the swerve in this story, but as I age, it is is very good advice.
- You could always teach the horses to sing. A story my father told me about a debt I owed him.
- Time is the most critical financial variable, which is always very true.
- There is no such thing as good debt, no matter what the influencers and experts say
The list does seem similar. However, free advice is always worth what you pay for it. This is not to say that advice purchased is any better.
Commuting Audiobook List
I listen to audiobooks while I commute. Going on a long car trip? Here is a list of what I have heard this year.
- Greenlights by McConaughey, Matthew (Amazon)
An interesting motivational story, read by the author.
- The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman (Amazon)
I fell in love with this series of stories, as you can see from this list.
- The Man Who Died Twice by Richard Osman (Amazon)
Yes, they are out of order on this list too.
- The Bassoon King by Wilson, Rainn (Amazon)
An interesting bit of analysis by the author. Never was a big the Office fan but an interesting story.
- Number Go Up: Inside Crypto’s Wild Rise and Staggering Fall by Zeke Faux (Amazon)
One of the few money books. Do you think Bitcoin is great? Listen to this one, you’ll feel less secure.
- All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot (Amazon)
Read by the new actor playing James Herriot.
- A Christmas Carol by Dickens read by Hugh Grant. (Amazon)
I enjoy these dramatizations a great deal.
- The Bullet that Missed by Richard Osman (Amazon)
Did I mention I liked this series?
- The Last Devil to Die by Richard Osman (yes I did all 4) (Amazon)
- Precious Cargo My Year Driving the Kids on School Bus 3077 by Craig Davidson (Amazon)
Recommended by my daughter, it is a good story. I enjoyed listening to it, and it made me feel better about people.
- Band of Brothers E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne From Normandy to Hitler’s Eagle’s Nest by Ambrose, Stephen E. (Amazon)
The book that the HBO series Band of Brothers was based on.
- Don’t Overthink It Make Easier Decisions, Stop Second-guessing, and Bring More Joy to your Life by Anne Bogel (Amazon)
Not a bad self-help concept.
- STFU The Power of Keeping your Mouth Shut in An Endlessly Noisy World by Lyons, Daniel (Amazon)
It’s an even better self-help concept.
- The Extraordinary Life of An Ordinary Man A Memoir by Newman, Paul (Amazon)
A little bit of Star admiration never hurt?
- Thank You for your Servitude Donald Trump’s Washington and the Price of Submission by Leibovich, Mark (Amazon)
You do realize there is an election in 2024?