The Holiday with no name
In Ontario we have a holiday today, but it’s not really a true holiday, since all the stores seem to be open, but I will take advantage of this and take the day off as well (if the banks are closed, so should financial bloggers too).
Helpful Job Hunting Tips
For those who have not been following me on the tweety you have been missing out on some helpful (if not sarcastic) job hunting tips that I learned throughout my job hunt a few years back.
I have been on both sides of the interview table, so I have interjected a lot of my own pet peeves to this list for candidates that I have met and wondered what they were thinking when they showed up to my job interview.
They are worth a read, and many of them are applicable to all jobs (and some are me being a smart ass).
- Job Hunting Tip 314: Always wear clean underwear to a job interview but never show them to your interviewer either
- Job Hunting Tip 319: Never answer any question in a job interview with “This bitch one time…”, unless you are a dog breeder
- Job Hunting Tip 271: Be Precise, e.g. “When I invented the Internet, I was working at…”, no one likes vagueness in job interviews
- Job Hunting Tip 666: Be complimentary with your interviewer: “That outfit doesn’t make you look nearly as fat as you are…”
- Job Hunting Tip 69: Hygiene is important, always shower before your interview, and cover all open sores and cuts
- Job Hunting Tip 13: If anyone asks you about your religious views, claim to be a Druid or a Sumarian Snakecharmer
- Job Hunting Tip 44: Humor has a place but dont do the Uncle Buck mole bit if interviewer has one (don’t be a twiddler)
- Job Hunting Tip 313: One answer that always gets interviewer’s attention “Why the f*ck would you ask me that?”
- Job Hunting Tip 535: Scents make you memorable at an interview, but don’t eat a Bean Burrito 2 hours beforehand, too memorable then
- Job Hunting Tip 345: Arguing with your interview about technical issues is OK, but MUST you be right
- Job Hunting Tip 478: The more the interviewer talks, the better you are doing, except if they are yelling about your lack of skills
- Job Hunting Tip 41: Tell someone u r using as a reference BEFORE you user them, “… who? That Idiot? I would never hire them!”
- Job Hunting Tip 87: The only person you can “throw under the bus” in an interview is yourself, don’t blame others, explain why
- Job Hunting Tip 101: It’s good to appear to know a lot, but very bad to appear to be a Know-it-all keep that in mind
- Job Hunting Tip 311: Network MORE with people who HAVE jobs, not as much with folks who are also looking for jobs
- Job Hunting Tip 444: Over 80% of jobs are found through “connections” and “contacts”, so get out and interact with folks!
- Job Hunting Tip 665: When interviewer asks “Any questions”, do not ask, “What are your sick leave rules like?”
- Job Hunting Tip 3: Think you are indispensable? You may be, until you are dispensed, start looking for jobs before dispensing!
- Job Hunting Tip 129: At interview be sincere (once you can fake it, you are in)!
- Job Hunting Tip 37: Be agreeable but not a suck-up (unless that is what they want, then be one), be yourself once u have the job
- Job Hunting Tip 333: Don’t answer question “Where do you see yourself in 5 years?” with “Doing your job, or better your boss”
Hope these helps, stay tuned I do have some more coming.