The predicted snowmagedon for New York didn’t really appear, however, Boston took it on the nose as did the Maritime provinces, Ottawa continues to be storm free (for now). Ottawa’s weather has been cold but lacking in precipitation, but we still have February and March to get through yet.
This week we heard about SmartSaver which looks like a good program to make sure that the folks who the CLB (Canada Learning Bond) was designed for, receive the money they deserve. I also got mentioned by Rob Carrick so lots of new eyes have been wandering across the site, let us hope a few of you have stayed around to continue visiting.
The Canadian Dollar is now below 80 cents US, and how this changes the economy remains to be seen. Imports will start getting more expensive (again), but will this help Canadian Manufacturing? It also means that there most likely won’t be an NHL team in Quebec City for a good long time (this will hurt the Canadian NHL teams in terms of having to pay their payroll in US Funds, but earning their income in Canadian Funds).
It is also time to start thinking about your taxes, joy! Better start making a list of all the forms you will need to be able to file your return, and try to get it in as soon as possible (unless you owe money, but even then, you can file early and then only pay on the last day (on-line at your bank)).
Evidently there is a celebration of Owls this weekend, and a quest to find the one that is the most Superb? It’s called the Super Bowl? Oh, well that makes more sense then, good luck to both teams, and I hope they both lose (being a Giants fan).
My Writings for Week Ending January 30th
Something must be in the air, I wrote 5 articles this week? Haven’t done that for a good long while :
- I tried another chapter of Good Money Tweets, but only published it Sunday, I’ll see what I do this weekend
- Gas Prices Drive Down Inflation in December to 1.5%, and thanks to that we have lower interest rates and a cheap loonie, but can inflation stay down with sky rocketing prices on imports?
- The very nice folks at TurboTax want you to use their product to do your taxes, and have give me a few copies to give away and thus I wrote Tax Time! TurboTax Giveaway
- I was skeptical about the program initially but after researching things a little more I think this is a good thing, Smartsaver.org RESP: Helping Lower Income Families
- I got offered some advice from a real Financial Person, so I took Turbotax up on it, with Tax Tips for Parents with Kids with Disabilities, some useful stuff there, thanks Ms. Taub!
Click here for more great personal finance stories