This week saw the 2500th (or so) post from me, and I seem to be still at it after about 9 years of writing. Thanks for the kind words from those who left them, I hope I can keep this up for a while longer.
Tomorrow we can celebrate Saint David’s Day, the patron saint of Wales. Go find some daffodils, and turn on some Rugby (unfortunately no 6 nations games this week). Saint David is the less drunken Gaelic patron saint. If you wish to enjoy some authentic Welsh cuisine, start off with some Leek Soup, follow by a plate of Faggots and Mushy Peas.
Dydd Gwyl Dewi Hapus!!!
It is RRSP time, and I was even mentioned in the Toronto Star (under my actual name, and there is even a picture of me, Mrs. C8j and the little C8j as well). I remember doing the interview about Spousal RRSPs and whether they are still relevant (they are) but no one told me that it had been published. There are a few articles in this post talking about RRSP season as well.
Look for me in the pages of Moneysense some time fairly soon as well espousing the need for better RDSP traction in the banking system.
Jim Lange (no not the guy from the Love Boat, that was Ted Lange) former host of the Dating Game passed away this week. I must admit I did watch the dating game when I was younger, a very interesting glimpse into the American Experience.
My Weekly Recap
My Writings for Week Ending February 28th
Luckily in Ottawa the Rideau Canal is Still Open
Stats Canada points out that prices are going up slowly, but note that Electricity prices are going up quickly, and this month Gas is going up again too.
I was asked to post a Guest Post about the fact that Government cheques will be going away soon, and will be replaced by direct deposit. You have been warned!
Yes, that really is me in that picture as well, just keep that in mind if you ever wonder what I look like (crazed lunatic).
Sometimes one sentence is enough to get someone to do something, or stop doing something, so be careful with your words.
Swiss Army Knife Section
It is so bloody cold in Ottawa (still) I may be breaking out the Swiss Miss Instant Cocoa (with mini-marshmellows):
- I found in the Huffington Post possibly the Greatest Obituary Ever, I just hope someone writes a similar one for me (but not in the near future).
- Ellen Roseman helps those who feel helpless with How to be taken seriously when you complain, read it and then call and complain about things, very good advice here.
- Million Dollar Journey explains a tricky idea Building Your Own Home? Here’s How Construction Mortgages Work! It is not as easy as you might think it should be.
- Mark at the Blunt Bean Counter continues his multi-week rant with How Much Money do I Need to Retire? Heck if I Know or Anyone Else Does! - Part 6 , boy don’t piss off accountants (or Sam Jackson).
- Friend of this site (and some time Guest Poster) Barry Choi brings us Are Canadians saving more? Of course the answer is, never enough!
- The Canadian Couch Potato answers the lyrical question Ask the Spud: Is There an Optimal Portfolio? And the answer is, maybe.
- Mark from My Own Advisor brings us some RRSP Fast Facts and Our Game Plan, always nice to see what other folks are doing in this area
- Have you got your taxes done? Michael James gives us a UFile Review and Giveaway, even though I know he loves doing his taxes with paper and pen.
- Frequent commenter Financial Crooks asks Why Doesn’t PC Financial Make More of an Effort to Work Like a Real Bank (and Issue Proper T5s)? They don’t want to waste paper?
- Canada Mortgage News talks of housing bubbles some more with 2 sales in GTA this weekend went for 128% and 138% of List price!! All I can say is Holy Crap!
- Given these sky rocketing prices Gail Vaz-Oxlade talks about RRSP Mortgages should you invest in your own mortgage?
- I am mentioned in What Canada’s Financial Experts Say About Mortgage Insurance from our sponsors at LSM Insurance (that big box up on the right hand side).
- Mark over at 2nd Career Search laments that we Get Paid More to Spend Than Save, very true.
- Preet wrote a while ago about the continual question TFSA or RRSP (in the Globe and Mail).
Land of MY Fathers
The Welsh National Anthem sung by the Llanelli Male Voice Choir. Llanelli holds a special place in my heart, even though I haven’t been there for a long time:
Inspirational Video High School Basketball
Seth Kraft was a senior and student coach, and he was given a special gift on Seniors Night:
If you Haven’t Watched Many Movies This Year
Jimmy Fallon helps us all out with this brief and fast outline of each movie, so now you can watch the oscars on Sunday night.
Remember my RSS feed is available too, and I have added an RSS Comment Feed as well. Have a look at my micro-blog on Twitter, where you can see a whole plethora of good articles and pithy comments by me as well. Twitter feed where I re-tweet many great articles by some of my featured writers (and make the occasional odd or off colour commentary on life (in 140 characters or less)). I am also on reddit, Tumblr, Pinterest and other Social Media sites (look for the BigCajunMan userid) as well.
If you have social media accounts, don’t forget to vote for my posts (see the nifty dashboard on the bottom of each article, where you can cast your votes).As they say in Quebec, vote early and vote often! This site is iPhone Friendly (and Android , iPod Touch and iPad Friendly), enjoy it on the go, in a readable format for the device. If you are reading with an iPhone or Android device, drop me a comment and tell me if this needs any improvements. This site is also in the Kindle Blog list, if you are interested.