Half Price Condoms

in Consumer Advocacy, Humor

Previously I have written about 50% off meat in fact Michael James has even asked if Cut Rate Meat is Safe , and my wife and I have expanded our cut rate shopping to the 50% off rack of various goods that our local grocer has, and enjoy getting some treats for a very cheap price, but would you trust half price condoms ?

Half Price Condoms

Half Price ?

Our grocer has in fact made it very easy to see the items he has slashed the prices on, as the product usually has a triangular flaming pink label with the words 50% Off emblazoned on it, so there is no danger you might miss these good bargains. Typically these items are about to reach their best before date , so you are taking a little chance here, but so far we have not run into any issues with any of these products (even the meat).

A few days ago we had to run in to get one or two things, and I needed Anti-perspirant, so we went up the aisle that this product is on, and it is next to the Family Planning section of the small pharmacy in our local grocers.  I quickly chose a manly smelling fragrance, OK, I found the cheapest one I could find but then noticed something odd out of the corner of my eye.

A large 50% Off label on boxes of Condoms

I’ll let that one settle in for a second, yes it was not just one box it was a group of about 8 boxes of various condoms that were 50% off. Half price condoms, is this a good idea ?

Who, in the name of Dr. Spock (the baby doctor, not the Star Trek guy) would rely on birth control that they picked up for 50% off? I leave this as a question to my good readers, would you trust 50% off condoms? Would you buy them for your kids?

Be prepared, I have the ultimate story that my friends know, but my good readers have only had me hint at, that may come out one day, about my Failed Vasectomy, so NO I would not trust cut rate Condoms, ever!

• youngandthrifty September 4, 2010, 10:06 AM

hahah! 50% off condoms?? Maybe they were nearing their expiry date too?

I do like 50% off groceries though. I can’t help but gravitate to the hot pink triangular sticker that says “50% off”-only on groceries. Not on condoms.

• Tiny Potato September 3, 2010, 12:41 AM

Some things I would just prefer to pay full price or a premium for. If anything just for the peace of mind (even if technically there is no difference).

I’d think paying the full price for condoms is actually MUCH cheaper than an unexpected child! Avoiding one box of diapers alone and you are already well ahead!

• Tom @ Canadian Finance Blog September 2, 2010, 9:01 PM

Wasn’t sure if that was too subtle… guess not 😉

• Go Banking Rates September 2, 2010, 4:04 PM

HAHA wow…Yeah, lines have GOT to be drawn in some things..50% off clothes is fine and dandy with me though!

• Michael James September 2, 2010, 12:03 PM

Maybe they make good balloons?

• bigcajunman September 2, 2010, 12:17 PM

Or possibly useful if you are carrying narcotics to far off lands? Not that I condone that!

• Tom @ Canadian Finance Blog September 2, 2010, 8:00 AM

It may not be that the condoms are discounted because they don’t work or anything like that. Many retailers discount 20-50% to clear discontinued product to make way for the next big thing.

• bigcajunman September 2, 2010, 12:41 PM

… the next big thing … ?!?!? Well stated!