Who do you Tip?

in Minimum Wage, Mistakes, Money

A couple of days ago we took delivery of a stove (the old one was dieing and we couldn’t really bake with it), which had “free” delivery included in the price. When the delivery chappies showed up, they hauled away the old stove, put the new stove in place, and I tipped them $10 with the statement “get yourselves some coffee on your break” (if I had given them a $20 I would have said get a beer after work). I think tipping them is just being curteous (and they did a good job, and frankly, they did something I didn’t want to do (i.e. move around heavy appliances)), I am wondering do folks think this is out of line, or wrong?

I know that it is normal in North American society to tip servers in restaurants (in fact many servers work for tips only) so that seems to be a normal thing. When I did paper delivery as a young lad, there were a few distinct groups of folks when it came to tipping:

• Those who tipped 10% on the weekly charge (that I collected from the door weekly)
  • Those who didn’t tip weekly, but gave me a Christmas tip
  • Those who didn’t tip at all (and were the ones who had their papers sometimes get really soaked in the rain)
My feeling is a gratuity is something you should want to pay out for a service you think was done well, or that you want to thank someone for doing.
There are countless other professions that seem to have gratuities associated with them:
  • Delivery folks in general (flowers, pizza delivery, etc.,)
  • Door-persons  (the term doorman seems to be passe)
  • Bouncers at certain clubs
  • Maitre D’s at restaurants
Sometimes I get miffed at having to tip folks all over the place to get simple service, but sometimes I like to say thanks as we

• Susan August 6, 2011, 9:35 AM

I tip restaurant staff since they are paid a lower minimum wage than the rest of the world and hairdressers because they can share with lower paid helpers. Other than that I figure I am paying for a service so shouldn’t have to tip. As an accountant I provide a service but don’t get tipped so why should other service providers. I have received gift cards with a thank you card which is more in keeping with rewarding exceptional service. And I HATE how suddenly at Christmas time the paper delivery person is concerned that I am happy with my service and leaves an envelope conveniently pre addressed.

• Ghostryder August 5, 2011, 1:53 AM

I see no point in tipping anyone. They are earning a wage to do a job. Why should I have to pay twice for them to do the job they were hired to do in the first place?

• Bankruptcy Ben August 3, 2011, 8:39 PM

I live in Australia we don’t tip but then the minimum wage is $16.50 USD so they don’t really need it anyway

• Sustainable PF August 3, 2011, 12:32 PM

I find tipping to be a bit over the top these days. We have decided to firm up who and when we tip. We’ve even broken it down to how much we’ll give for bad, so-so, good and superb levels of service.

• bigcajunman August 4, 2011, 5:06 AM

I don’t tip for bad service, which gets me in trouble a lot of times too (restaurants I only leave 10% if I feel bad service)

• repenttokyo August 3, 2011, 11:24 AM

I didn’t know I was supposed to tip barbers and hairdressers until I dated a hairdresser. Now I do it regularly.

• krantcents August 3, 2011, 10:37 AM

Tipping is taken for granted. I see stores like Starbucks have tip jars on the counter. I don’t mind tipping, but I feel it should be for good service. To automatically tip because they person receives low pay is wrong.

• bigcajunman August 4, 2011, 5:06 AM

Why am I tipping someone if I served myself? Starbucks, Tim Horton’s and such are where I don’t think of tipping.

• Bar Whiz August 3, 2011, 9:31 AM

In theory, tipping serves two distinct purposes. It should be for exceeding service expectations, which is why a flat 15% gratuity seems to make little sense.

But it is also a way of buying influence, and always has been. The bouncer is paid to keep riff-raff out; you want him to be paid to let you in. Is this even moral? Or is it a conflict of interest? What if it was a government official taking the tip?

• Melinda August 3, 2011, 8:31 AM

I did the same thing. When I got a new washer and dryer I gave them $10 bucks figuring..there was lunch. Things like that I’m never sure if they are expecting a tip or not, but for great service I don’t mind giving them a few bucks.