Some Financial YOLOs

in Humor, Rant

What the heck is a #yolo or YOLO? It’s a term used by the younger generation which is simply:

You Only Live Once

and it seems to be used to explain some very odd behavior by some normally sane folks. This expression also flies in the face of a lot of organized religion (not to mention the complete opposite of Samsara but that is for another story (maybe all these YOLO folks will return as banana slugs?)).

If you want to jump out of a plane (with a parachute hopefully) or jump off a bridge (again presumably with a bungee cord connected), go ahead (I won’t be doing this), however here are some YOLOs I have seen financially that causes the BCM left eyebrow (the frugal eyebrow) to raise sharply:

• Bought a big screen TV that I am now enjoying while watching the Olympics #yolo Yeh, that’s really YOLO, blow a lot of money you don’t have, to then watch a bunch of other folks exercise and excel physically. Maybe you should go out and start a new sport and try to get in the Olympics?
  • Got a BMW I deserve it #yoloThat is very true, if you are in debt and you can’t afford your lifestyle, there is nothing like adding more debt onto the fire (much like adding gasoline to a fire makes it much better). I realize many BMW owners are frugal folks, I simply ridicule the “wannabe” BMW owners.
  • Got an Amex Platinum Card makes me feel rich #yoloSure that’s a great idea, get a credit card that you can’t afford to buy things that you can’t afford, I can see the YOLO in that idea, no problem!
Any other great #yolo that you have seen lately?

• Value Indexer August 10, 2012, 11:14 PM

Well the good news is that when they blow it all and end up living in a cardboard box, they only have to put up with that for one lifetime. YOLO!

• Denis August 8, 2012, 5:51 PM

Buying a brand new car rather than a two year old model that is in great shape. YOLO right? The average millionaire buys used cars and lets some other sucker take the hit on depreciation which is what happens when the wheels first hit the pavement as the new car with a proud new owner leaves the car lot after the purchase of the shiny new car.

• Earth and Money August 7, 2012, 4:05 PM

Just bought a plane ticket to [insert fancy destination here]. Who needs an emergency fund? #yolo

• krantcents August 7, 2012, 11:58 AM

I did a number of those things when I was younger and continue when I travel.

• John August 7, 2012, 8:21 AM

hahaha… a good blog! My sister is definitely (well, at least she used to be) #yolo type of person. Do you think that there is a fine line, though?

• SB @ One Cent at a Time August 7, 2012, 6:48 AM

I did a lot of YOLOs so far. the extreme one being leaving my home country for US. Now I am enjoying every moment