One of the more annoying ideas that keeps coming up as I get older is folks asking me about whether I have a bucket list? The first time I heard it my first thought was, “I have two buckets in my house, why do I need a bloody list?”.
Why is it so important in your life to have a list of things that you need to do, to feel you have lived a full and complete life? When did your life become “of value” only if you have a list of stupid things that you may or may not have time to do before you croak?
Evidently my life has not been well lived if I have not:
- Climbed Mount Kilimanjaro (or worse Mount Everest) (I climbed Mount Royal in Montreal does that count?)
- Run with the bulls in Pamplona (I did try cow tipping though)
- Surfed the Banzai Pipeline in Hawaii (not gonna happen)
- Put a padlock on the Pont de l’Archevêché ( think I have walked across that bridge once)
- Joined the mile high club (OK that one does sound intriguing to me, given I don’t fit in airline bathrooms when I want to use them as bathrooms)
- Got completely out of debt and saved enough for my retirement (OK that is me just messing with you).
I don’t get this whole need to have to do things to feel fulfilled (isn’t that called Work? Just sayin’). Can’t I just be happy with what I have done already, and the amazing things that might happen in the future?
You want to know what my bucket list is:
- Buy a nice bucket
- Don’t die
Simple ain’t it though? My hope is I won’t add to this list, and for now I have completed my bucket list.