fbpx

Do You Store Your Tires

in Automobile, Case Study, Home Expenses

My mechanic who installs my snow tires offers a service to store tires for $12.50 a tire per season (so about $50 plus tax for the winter). We store my wife’s tires, since they are on rims, however we don’t store the tires for my car (they aren’t on rims). My car’s tires are loose and tend to take up some space in my garage, and has been one of the reasons why my car would not fit into our garage (a double car garage).

Mrs. C8j noticed that Canadian Tire had a “Black Friday” (yeh right) sale on a wall mounted tire rack for $56 (around), and I had been dithering about how this was going to be the year we try to fit my car into the garage (my wife’s van fits with little work), so it seemed like this past weekend we were going to try to fit both cars into our garage.

Saturday was the day, thus we spent a good amount of time, throwing things out and then playing garage Tetris, but thanks to mounting my tires on the wall, and some judicious destruction, and decluttering, my car actually fits into the garage.

A very Nice Rack

The interesting part of all of this is that the cost of the rack is about the same cost as we paid for my wife to have her tires stored. So in some ways this rack paid for itself, if I had stored my tires (and as you can see from the picture, I actually have other stuff that I can stuff into the rack).

At the end of it we continue to play garage Tetris, to see what the optimal set up for the cars and the snowblower is, but Mrs. C8j also points out that maybe we need a backyard shed to store the remaining stuff (others might say, just have less stuff).

• Patrick Doyle December 22, 2016, 9:42 AM

If you own two sets of ties, don’t you need 12 months of storage per year?

• bigcajunman December 22, 2016, 9:55 AM

Another reason to store them yourselves.

• LifeInsuranceCanada.com November 28, 2012, 8:00 AM

Storing tires is a pain. Thankfully I have a garden shed where they go. Or more properly, where the summer tires are stored right now.

For those that don’t put winter tires on their cars, it’s worth doing some research to uncover the benefits to swapping tires twice a year. Or just buy them – once you’ve driven in icy/snowy conditions with top ice tires you’ll be sold going forward, The difference is immediate and noticeable.

• bigcajunman November 28, 2012, 8:05 AM

And in Quebec, “This is the Law!”, I miss that TV show…

• My Own Advisor November 27, 2012, 9:18 PM

I’ve always stored my tires myself, never paid for this service.

As for your rack, nice one. All men enjoy a good rack.

• Big Cajun Wife November 27, 2012, 7:50 PM

First, @Michael James, if you are nice to me, I’ll let you come over and see my rack. To the others who think the $50 is extravagant, don’t think of it as $50 to store my tires (trust me they are NOT fitting in the garage) think of it as $50 to put BCM’s car in the garage, which is pretty darn cheap given the price of parking in Ottawa.

Big Cajun Wife.

• Frugal Guy with Balance November 27, 2012, 2:49 PM

First I would never pay someone to store my tires for $50 a year.

What I would have done is bought that the rack and combined it with something else useful and given it to my good wife for Christmas!!!

One year l gave her a lawnmower for her birthday that went over like a lead balloon.

This year my good wife is getting a roomba 650. Go figure from lawnmowers to roomba ‘s.

I guess I know who is Boss but will never admit it!!!

• bigcajunman November 27, 2012, 3:04 PM

I think you just admitted it?

Don’t give her a black cast iron frying pan (is a friendly suggestion) too easily turns into a weapon!

Worse gifts might be:
      1) A Gym membership
      2) A Jenny Crag Subscription
      3) A subscription to Playboy
      4) Season tickets for the local sports franchise

• Michael James November 27, 2012, 8:32 AM

I was just skimming. Did you say you bought your wife a new rack?

• bigcajunman November 27, 2012, 9:12 AM

Actually she has a very well constructed rack now (sort of a DIY project), since you are asking

• Joe November 27, 2012, 5:07 AM

Good work. Paying $50 a year to store tires seems kind of insane to me. Even in a condo building you typically have a storage unit you could put tires and you have a double garage. Definitely no excuse going forward. BTW, swapping out the tires yourself would save money and I, for one, find it’s a great way to assert my masculinity.

• bigcajunman November 27, 2012, 6:50 AM

I get where you are coming from in terms of “DIY” snow tires, however, I have done it myself for many years, then when the car fell off the jack almost pinning my legs under the car, I decided I had reached the “tipping point” for this activity, and would surely kill myself the next time, so I now have my mechanic do it.