For all of those who have not finished their taxes (in Canada) yet (April 30th deadline looms large), I would like to give you some of the excellent (what is the font for sarcasm) excuses that I have heard over the past years from friends and co-workers. (maybe you should read Myths About Your Taxes before you read this great list, just to make sure you are sure you don’t want to do your taxes):
- I don’t owe money, so I just couldn’t be bothered.
Question: How do you know that you don’t owe any tax if you haven’t done your return?
- My taxes are simple, so I am sure I don’t owe any money, so why bother ?
Question: What if they owe you money? Don’t care? Want to send money to the “Send Big Cajun Man on Vacation fund”, if money means so little to you?
- If I owe money, the CRA will tell me, soon enough
Statement: WTF? Yes, and the CRA will also impose their penalties starting May 1st (or earlier) if you owe them money.
- I might do it wrong, then the CRA will get mad at me
Comment: The CRA might get mad at you, but my guess is their penalties won’t come into play, if you submitted your forms on time (although they may make you redo it, correctly)
- I am on a worldwide cruise and can’t submit my taxes until I get back in September
Comment: CRA’s answer might be, “Maybe you should have thought about this before you went away?”
- The CRA always extends the deadline, so I don’t have to rush
Comment: What if they don’t? (see penalties comment previously)
- The dog ate my tax receipts!
Comment: Get a new dog?
- The dog at my computer?
Comment: Umm…. next?
- I didn’t submit my taxes last year, and they didn’t bother me, why should I bother this year? (repeat that excuse for 6 years)
Question: You enjoy loaning money to the Government? You most likely are owed money, but the CRA doesn’t need to tell you that, do they?
- I can’t log into My CRA, I get an error, so I can’t do my taxes.
Comment: Don’t think that one is going to fly.
Any other great excuses out there about not doing your taxes on time, that I might have missed? I guess with these great excuses you won’t need to Search For a Good Tax Preparer either?
Disclaimer: This article neither condones, nor espouses any of these lame excuses, do your taxes on time!