Stats Canada announced on Friday that things haven’t really changed too much in terms of the jobs picture in Canada in January of 2016. There are 5700 less employed folks and unemployment edged up 0.1% to 7.2%. Year over year unemployment is up 0.6% year over year, mostly due to more folks looking for jobs, but also due to losses of jobs out west too.
There was a little good news in terms of full-time jobs:
There was little change in both full-time and part-time employment in January. However, compared with 12 months earlier, full-time work increased by 172,000 (+1.2%) while part-time was little changed.
It is a good thing to see that there are more full-time jobs for folks, that means more folks (hopefully) trying to build a career, and not just trying to get by.
This graphic seems to suggest that the new Liberal Government is going to have to start addressing this issue soon.
You can read along with the overall report, but the more in depth report, has a lot more interesting data to check out, and the following graphic shows where the jobs are now.
There are a bunch of graphics like this, however, this one suggests the jobs are in Technical Services, Financial Services and very much in Health Care and Social help as our population ages.
Labour News for 2015
Here are some of the posts about jobs from the past while:
- Steady Job News to End 2015
- Unemployment Up in November
- More Ladies Aged 55 and 0lder Working in October in Canada
- More Working but also Unemployed in September
- Ironic Labour Numbers on Labour Day for August
- 6600 More Jobs in Canada in July
- More Full Time Jobs in Canada in June
- More Full Time Work in Canada in May
- Less Part Time Jobs in April in Canada
- More Part-Time Jobs in Canada, Yea?!?
- Unemployment Up in February in Canada
- More Part Time Jobs in Canada in January
My spouse is one of them, looking for a DBA position. I am not sure what is happening with the resumes sent online…. There is only one reply. Sadly, it didn’t get anywhere.
Remember to use your contacts, and also check out the job hunting tips here as well