The Olympics are finally upon us, let us all sit back drink lots of beer, eat chips and watch these well tuned and in shape athletes make us all look like fat sacks of poop. I am not sure there is any one event I am looking forward to, but I think the 100M dash will be fun, but my guess is I will be watching most every event that I can, Go Canada too!
I had fun with my rant about the Concept of “Good Debt” and I didn’t get any heavy push back either, which makes me wonder, who are these people that think that debt is good? Maybe I am like those rabid Vegans that everyone ignores when they go on rants about how “meat is murder”. My point is not that debt should be out-lawed, my point is that you should not get comfortable with debt, you should hate it!
Facebook announced a loss, after its IPO, oh dear, a high-tech company that is having issues after it’s IPO (what is the font for sarcasm again).
Ottawa has some rain, but is still in dire need of more rain, let’s hope for some more this weekend.
After reading a whole bunch of older posts, I have posted a few responses or updates of those posts, just to show I read my old stuff too:
- Olympic Fever and Sunday’s Best has a good recap of many of my older posts that are up on Twitter the past week.
- CPI Rate Up in Canada June 2012 points out that the Bank of Canada now sees inflation as being a little high, so what might they do about it?
- Having a disorganized and a house full of junk is one think but De-cluttering Financially (redux) is even more important.
- I revisited the Tim Horton’s Savings Plan, and then it was pointed out that my arithmetic skills are not as good as I hoped.
- My rant Good Debt? Not Bloody Likely points out my hatred of debt (again).
And thanks to those who added me on Twitter I am now over 1110 folks who follow me, mon dieu! If you join my “Twitter Posse“, you might notice I am also re-Tweeting some posts from the French Media as well (hell, if I am learning the language, shouldn’t we all?).
Check out my Facebook page as well (but no I didn’t buy Facebook stock). The page includes many different posts, not just my own (kind of like this Friday post, but all week-long), and I have changed it a little bit too (note the new background).
Links for the Week
Seems like a lot of my favorite writers are taking some much needed time off this weekend (or they are hanging out with pachyderms, that would be Preet), oh and if you comment on this post using the secret word Fabersham! I will know I have more than 10 dedicated readers too:
- My Own Advisor gives us a quick run through of Three U.S. Dividend Paying Stocks Priced Under $30 , as usual an interesting cross-section.
- Mr. Money Mustache, brings us Protecting Your Money From Spendy Friends, and having friends who love blowing cash, is not the right kind of friends to have.
- Boomer of Boomer and Echo shares with us What Was Learned from Working Retail, everyone should be forced to do that just to understand how things actually work.
- Timeless Finance goes a little orthogonal with Scratch Removal - not to say that isn’t important, but not really a money topic, is it?
- Jeremy at Modest Money wonders if Everyone Needs an Emergency Fund? I guess if you plan on living in a lead lined bunker, you might not, but I think most of us need it.
- Canadian Budget Binder wonders Are You Mr. or Mrs. Money Bags,
- The Blunt Bean Counter seems to have gone on vacation, we miss him and hope he is having a good time, wherever he is hiding.
- Michael James is working hard helping out with baseball, but he did manage to write one post this week with Unexpected Anchoring in Charitable Donation Amounts.
- Gail Vaz-Oxlade gives us a very Zen piece of advice Go For Financial Stability, which is very true.
- Preet may not be writing much lately, but he is as busy as heck, witness the photo below of his new friend(s).
Have a look at my micro-blog on Twitter, where you can see a whole plethora of good articles and pithy comments by me as well. Twitter feed where I re-tweet many great articles by some of my featured writers (and make the occasional odd or off colour commentary on life (in 140 characters or less)). I am also on Digg as Big Cajun Man, on reddit, Tumblr, Pinterest and other Social Media sites (look for the BigCajunMan userid) as well.
If you have social media accounts, don’t forget to vote for my posts (see the nifty dashboard on the bottom of each article, where you can cast your votes). As they say in Quebec, vote early and vote often!
This site is iPhone Friendly (and Android , iPod Touch and iPad Friendly), enjoy it on the go, in a readable format for the device. If you are reading with an iPhone or Android device, drop me a comment and tell me if this needs any improvements. This site is also in the Kindle US Blog list, if you are interested, not available in Canada yet (because no Blogs are available in Canada on a Kindle?!?).
Preet and Michael Moore?
Yup, here is an old clip of Preet interviewing Michael Moore (you know Bowling for Columbine guy? (very topical right now too)). Interesting clip: