Special Report: Federal Speech from the Throne
I’m sorry I just could not resist the picture, since every time I think of the Throne Speech my mind naturally moves to the water closet.
The Speech From the Throne
You can find the complete speech on this link, have a read it’s a lot of fun to read something that implies so much and says so very little.
- A Fiscal statement is coming next week from Jim Flaherty (mini-budget? budget? whatever).
- We are going to try not to run a deficit, but we make no promises.
- Support of workers in transition. Does that mean they are going to give me an athletic supporter, money or training? Support is a generic term, training is implied, but not sure.
- Quoted Warren Buffett, who quoted Wayne Gretzky who said we should â€œto skate to where the puck is going to be, not to where it has been.â€, commenting about how we need a Dynamic economy. I always liked Yogi Berra’s “Hit ’em where they ain’t..” as a colloquialism.
- More effective government, that’s kind of like promising to eat right, words are interesting, actions are the telling part of it.
- One very interesting statement about Electric Power generation:
“Our Government will set an objective that 90 percent of Canadaâ€™s electricity needs be provided by non-emitting sources such as hydro, nuclear, clean coal or wind power by 2020. “
Interesting target to have, given a lot is already Hydro and Nuclear how close are we to that number already?
- Improving the UCCB, no real statement what that improvement might be, but I like that idea.
- Lots of motherhood statements about funding the military and the police to keep us all safe (not bad things, just fairly standard stuff).
- “May divine providence guide us in our deliberations.” Really not sure what that is supposed to mean, but it reads well, that is for sure.
I guess we shall wait until next week to hear what Mr. Flaherty has to say about programs, taxes, expenditures and the like. I smell a deficit coming, but we shall have to wait and see.