The 1 Thing That Helped me Get a Job: Activating my Network
OK, I promise this will be the last job hunting related post for a while, but I am on a bit of a roll, so I figured I’d keep on going.
The one thing that I did learn was that most folks will find their eventual job via their network of contacts (as I pointed out in a post I did during my job hunting). I have not found more than a hand full of folks who have actually found a job by simply dropping their resume off, or putting it into a job database (not saying it won’t happen, just saying it is not bloody likely).
What is your network made up of?
- Former employers and former bosses, you need these for your references and if these folks are working, they will know better than anyone else, where jobs might be. These folks are the Uber Insiders, treasure them and treat them well.
- Former co-workers, again, if these folks are employed, they will know of inside jobs and who might be hiring. These are good insiders and you should stay in contact with them and treat them OK (don’t buy them lunch or anything, but maybe buy them a beer or coffee).
- Folks you meet on your job searches, this will include:
- Other jobs seekers, these folks are useful because they may have heard of folks hiring, but remember they are competitors, and if they don’t have a job, they aren’t as useful as the first two groups of folks.
- Headhunters are of use because they might give you tips on what areas are hiring, and they might even find you a job (yeh, right).
- Trainers and folks who teach job hunting courses. These folks will give you useful tips on how to make your resume more interesting, and have more tips for you.
This is a good list of useful folks, and remember you are trying to find out about the inside jobs that are not necessarily going to be advertised. A lot of times these jobs are simply unavailable to most folks, but if you have a good insider, you may be able to work around that (keep that in mind).
Job searching is hard these days (I know of what I speak), and nothing worth having is going to come easily now either. Activate your network before you think you need them, it is just being prudent.