Financial Anti-Bucket List

in Financial Dreams

I have previously railed against the concept of the Bucket List with Buck the Fucket list (yes a little bit of an NSFW title), however someone on the web brought up the concept of the Anti-Bucket list, which would be a list of things that you never want to do. This idea I can wrap my mind around, as due to my paranoid nature, I do have a long list of things I never want to do (e.g. Pick a fight with Mike Tyson), or a financial anti-bucket list .

What things financially do I never want to do (or ever do again)? I will try to keep this list shorter, and hope that you all will join in with comments.Financial Anti-Bucket List

1. Declare bankruptcy, no matter what anyone says about how there is less stigma around declaring bankruptcy, I just don’t ever want to do it.
  2. Get a Pay Day Loan, yes, I am still harping on that one as well, but if I reach the point where I need this service, I am not sure what happened to me, but I will be very unhappy. I won’t have a point for get a loan from a Loan Shark, assume this is the same entry on the list.
  3. Buy a new car that cost more than my first house,  I don’t care how many hot women will throw themselves at me because of my phenomenal vehicle (because they assume I am rich), I view a vehicle as a means of transit only (although the bus I took for a while cost twice as much as my first house).
  4. Collect unemployment insurance, I am not sure this is genuinely on the list, since I was unemployed for a year, and was never “eligible” to collect it, so I suspect I never will collect EI, just by default.

Are there other things we should be adding to the Financial Anti-Bucket list?

• Asset-Grinder June 3, 2014, 6:08 PM

I never want to use my credit card when its avoidable. To me they are evil but also necessary!

• My Own Advisor June 2, 2014, 8:11 PM

For everyone:

Purchase mortgage life insurance. Run a credit card balance. Buy a new car at more than 0% interest. Buy penny stocks. The list goes on…

• Phil June 2, 2014, 10:50 AM

+1 – Buy something under pressure. I WILL always take time no matter how good the deal, when parting with my money. +2 – Never sell an asset when I feel panicked. I have enough financial history now in me to know I should never fear when everyone else is fearing. I’m very proud of this learned response. +3 – Will never enter a financial transaction without knowing full well what I am doing. +4 – Will never use welfare… there are always other alternatives. All your others I like too, except for the EI thing, as I did use it when I stopped working, so maybe that means since now that I’m still not, I’ll never be able to collect it? – Cheers.

• bigcajunman June 2, 2014, 11:17 AM

I think it should have read, Not Get Laid Off (again). More Good points.

• valleycat1 June 2, 2014, 9:37 AM

Purchase whole life insurance.
    Take out a home equity line of credit in order to pay for things like vacations and weddings, or because I have paid for things like vacations and weddings and now need the HELOC to be able to renovate the house.

• bigcajunman June 2, 2014, 11:16 AM

Now that is putting on your thinking cap.

• AskRoss June 2, 2014, 9:04 AM

May not have as much dramatic flair, but I hope I never ever have a late payment on a credit or loan facility. For some people, this happens because of limited resources; many though are from forgetfulness or lack of common sense

• bigcajunman June 2, 2014, 9:18 AM

I have done that through forgetfullness, but if you usually pay on time (and have for the past 2 years) normally if you call the credit card company they will wave the late fee for this time only.

• B June 2, 2014, 12:13 PM

I did this once by accident. I had just gotten back from a vacation in Europe and was still groggy from the jetlag when I paid my credit card bill through web banking. I managed to send the $3200 to the phone company. The mistake wasn’t discovered until our next credit card bill came in.

I now make sure that I triple-check who the payment is going to, at each step of the payment 🙂

• bigcajunman June 2, 2014, 12:37 PM

I do that a lot paying from the WRONG account and thus pay my day to day bills from my Savings (high service charges) instead of my chequing (free bill paying), very annoying.