At an undisclosed “family eatery” in Ottawa an argument broke out between warring factions of the Financial Blogging world, when Active Investors felt they had been pushed over the edge and fought back against the “… oppressive no fun antics of passive investors…”. What was supposed to be a civil discussion about current events and economic trends dissolved into a “Pier 6 Donny Brook”, when the subject of whether Active Investors could “beat the market” consistently.
One combatant stated, “I have had enough of all this, invest carefully, and grow your wealth safely stuff that is being espoused. Did Buffett passive invest? Did JP Morgan? Did my Uncle Ralph? NO! they bought individual stocks and they got filthy stinking rich!”.
The staff at the local “watering hole” were taken aback by the antics of these alleged “Money Experts” and their crude commentaries such as:
- “… active investors calculate their growth using slide rules!”
- “… passive investors drive below the speed limit on the highway because they are satisfied not using the full speed potential!”
- “… why would anyone not want to have the exhilaration of buying high and selling low?”
- “… you need to lose money to make money”
- “… passive investing is for losers who just can’t make a decision!”
And many other comments that cannot be included as they are far too crude in nature.
April Fools Alert!
Well part of the story is true, the N.C.F.B.A. did have a lovely dinner.
I recall because I was so active I got served my beer first 🙂
Ah beer, the starting and sometimes ending of many a great argument
I’m one of those boring passive investors and I love it =D
Preet is a surprisingly good wrestler.