This week we were introduced to a new term that I am pretty sure is going to stick around for a while. Arguing a point a Trump advisor used the expression that they had Alternate Facts and from that statement it all exploded. Alternate Facts, now seems to imply falsehoods, so let us bring up some Alternate Financial Facts into the argument:
- Would alternate savings really just be debt ?
- Alternate credit rehabilitation simply be bankruptcy or getting farther into debt?
- With alternate financial facts negative equity would be a very good thing
What would the Ministry of Truth think of that? Speaking of 1984 by George Orwell, surprisingly it is now a best seller. The book is a must read, as is Animal FarmÂ , just to understand how totalitarian worlds evolve from democracy (or how a good idea can be perverted easily). I prefer Animal Farm to 1984, but both are books you must read.
My Writings for Week Ending January 27th
I guess my alternate fact analytics are showing that millions of readers came over to check out my only writing of the week, Energy Up 4.0 % for 2016 , where we learned that in Ontario electricity costs were up over 11% (year over year), and we all keep asking why?. The Ministry of Truth does need to look into that one.
A Money Thought
What does the Dow at 20,000 mean? I have no bloody idea, and luckily neither do other folks.
As the dow hits 20,000 a reminder, the index is ridiculous and this milestone is meaninglesshttps://t.co/Wmx3liVqJA
— Peter Armstrong (@armstrongcbc) January 25, 2017
News from the Ministry of Plenty
None of these writers believe in the concept, “Ignorance is strength”,Â I would assume financial planning and investing would be under the Ministry of Plenty?
- I believe the Thought PoliceÂ will be looking up Mark from My Own Advisor about his post 2017 PredictionsÂ spreading subversive hopes, but I guess we won’t be sure until this amazing year is over.
- Robb Engen brings us 5 Ways to Avoid Monthly Banking Fees, but why would you not enjoy paying money to keep your money in a bank? That kind of writing could end him up in Room 101.
- Million Dollar Journey reports hisÂ Top 5 Financial Goals for 2017, which talks of SMART goals which are very important. Big Brother applauds all goals, that align with the Ministries goals.
- Kevin O’Leary will be running to lead the Inner Party he announced this week. Good luck, all praise Big Brother.
- The Ministry of PeaceÂ was happy to announce that the Doomsday Atomic Clock moved up 30 seconds on Jan. 26th, and is now set at 2 and a 1/2 minutes to midnight (the closest to midnight for 64 years (1953). Good news!
- Tom Drake writes of the History of the Canadian Dollar , but that is what got Winston Smith in trouble, didn’t it?
- Michael James asks Is it Really Necessary to Check Your Credit Score? My answer is, only if you want to buy something with credit, but read on to see what MJ said, for all you Proles out there.
â€œIn philosophy, or religion, or ethics, or politics, two and two might make five, but when one was designing a gun or an aeroplane they had to make four.â€ â€• George Orwell, 1984
Unfortunately it seems in finance these days two and two can make whatever number anyone wants, and they will believe it — Big Cajun Brother
Stocks vs Bonds
Stocks or Bonds? Which to invest in? Preet is here to help you out (not approved as of yet by the Ministry of Plenty).
2016 Random Thoughts Year End
- December 16, Interest Rate Hikes, TFSA Limits and #Moneytalk
- December 23, Merry Christmas, Highspeed Internet a right, Inflation at 1.2 and #MoneyTalk
- December 30, Go Away 2016, Deep Thoughts, End of Year and #MoneyTalk
- January 6th, Merry New Year, CPP, EI and #MoneyTalk
- January 13th, Bungled Mortgages, Friday the 13th and #Moneytalk
Remember my RSS feed is available too, and I have added an RSS Comment Feed as well. Have a look at my micro-blog on Twitter, where you can see a whole plethora of good articles and pithy comments by me as well.
My Twitter feed is where I re-tweet many great articles by some of my featured writers (and make the occasional odd or off-color commentary on life (in 140 characters or less)). I am also on reddit, Tumblr, Pinterest , Flipboard, Instagram and other Social Media sites (look for the BigCajunMan userid) as well. If you have social media accounts, donâ€™t forget to vote for my posts (see the nifty dashboard on the bottom of each article, where you can cast your votes).As they say in Quebec, vote early and vote often!
This site is iPhone Friendly (and Android , iPod Touch and iPad Friendly), enjoy it on the go, in a readable format for the device. If you are reading with an iPhone or Android device, drop me a comment and tell me if this needs any improvements.
Be a good comrade, spend your 2 mins of hate reading twitter comments.
My take is that checking your credit score won’t do any good if you want to buy something on credit. Checking your score won’t make it get higher.
Maybe you get reading points?!?! ðŸ˜ƒ