I haven’t done this for a while, but I do have a little more free time. So let’s start with the best joke about this year so far.
I’d like to return this year (2020), I don’t like it and it isn’t doing what I want. It is within 90 days and I expect a full refund, or at least store credit.The 2020 Dad Joke
How are you all doing? I hope you are doing well, and if you are still working, I say Thank You for that.
If you are not essential, STAY HOME! This is what you can do for your loved ones and yourself, STAY HOME! I cannot visit my Mother or brother because I could kill them, I don’t know if I have been exposed or am a carrier, so I STAY AWAY. I want to see them, but I know I could kill them, so I stay away.
So the one thing I will remember about this vividly will be the folks who have hoarded Toilet Paper. I hope that they have to use all that toilet paper quickly. Remember, COVID-19 attacks your lungs. It is not stomach flu. On this date (March 27th), I continued to look for another pack of TP, but Costco was out.
It feels like an episode of M*A*S*H when their supply lines got cut. I suppose that makes me Klinger (or Frank Burns). Lighten up, folks, let’s let everyone wipe their derriÃ¨res safely.
I also have heard from every place that ever asked for my email address (a HOTMAIL address that I usually ignore). Everyone is telling me how they are trying to help me be safe during these times. Thanks?
So it has been a long while since I have written one of these, so we have a long list to wander through.
- COVID-19 Are we F*cked ? OK, so the title was a little click-baity but I had to write this down. Sometimes these thoughts need to be put in print to see where we stand. Apologies for the rant and salty tones.
- RDSP Statement of Grant Entitlement 2020 yes another year has passed and the government has told me how little they will match in terms of my son’s RDSP. It’s free money, but it will increase over time.
- Reflections on 15 Years means I have actually been doing this for more than 15 years. I am attempting to rewrite, edit and delete many of my older posts.
- Impact of COVID-19 on Small Business and Self-Employed my daughter is a Chiropractor, and she offered to write a piece on the impact of this thing, on her financial and professional life. I think I may have a few more posts from her in the future.
- Financial Disaster Plan would have been good to have one of these before all of this, but maybe it is time to write one anyhow?
- Aging Family Members and How to Deal with their Real Estate was another Guest Post done for me, that I really like. Sean writes about things happening in my life right now.
There are more, but you can check them out on the site. As you can see, my writing rhythm may be returning (for good or bad)â€”hopefully, more from me in the coming weeks.
Financial Reads for Troubled Times
I give you an excellent reading list of articles to help you get through these troubled and worrying times.
- Many â€œExpertsâ€ are Wrong about Risk written by Michael James, points out that oh so many experts have been wrong about money things. He is not arguing with Scientists, he is arguing with Financial Folk.
- I thought Mark at the Blunt Bean Counter was going to slow down? He hasn’t and we are all better for it. COVID-19: Finances, Retirement, and the Impact on Small Business Owners is another must read!
- Banks Can take your deposited money as payment? Gail Vaz-Oxlade has written about this before, but here is a subtle reminder that this is the case.
- Robb Engen brings us High Interest Savings Account vs. GIC maybe it is time to start thinking about those again? You should have some in. your portfolio, but the mix is the question.
- Lost your job? Check to see if you had accidentally signed up for Balance Protection Insurance , is a great video from Preet Banerjee. Preet has been pumping out content, go over and watch some of it (just for the view from his condo!).
Tweet of the Week
Squawkfox has not been around much for those who have not noticed because she has been battling cancer. She is a friend, and I hope you all send her good thoughts and love. She is one of the reasons you should stay home!
Oh, and if you are on Twitter, please add The Canadian Cyber Center. They are the Internet Watchdog, so watch them.
Video of the Week
Speaking of our old amigo Preet B. here is a helpful video with resources to help you out during these troubling times.
2019 Random Thoughts
- Dusty Typewriters and #MoneyTalk (November 8th)
- March Madness and #MoneyTalk (March 30th)
- Lent Begins and #Moneytalk (March 6th)
- Christmas Treats, RESPs, The Markets and Polkas and #MoneyTalk (December 17th)
- GM, PC M/C Changes, Podcasts and #MoneyTalk (November 30th)
- RDSP Awareness , Volatility and #MoneyTalk (October 12th)
- Tech Infiltration , NAFTA/USMCA, WiFi, Tornadoes and #MoneyTalk (October 5th)