It is RDSP awareness month in October (according to Plan Institute). As most of you know the RDSP is a topic near and dear to my heart. Watch all my social media streams ( Twitter and Facebook) for many great archive stories I have on the topic of RDSP Awareness Month. I will also include a bunch of other information about the DTC (Disability Tax Credit) and a great article about Henson trusts too.
Given the latest Market Volatility and drop in value, is now the time to crack open our skulls and eat the soft gooey stuff inside? No! Remember if you are an Index Investor, now is not the time to panic. Have the picadores finally slowed down the Mad Bull Market of 2009? I have no idea, but it is fun to create click bait for folks based on that.
This coming week it will be Happy Cannabis day (on October 17th). What exciting things will happen that day? I am not sure, but I think I may stay off the roads for a few days. Some employers are being quite strict with their rules (RCMP says you can smoke up to 30 days before your next shift, and DND’s regulations seem quite voluminous). Will folks show up to work stoned? It all remains to be seen, but remember, ” … Dave’s not here man!”.
Seems we will be saying good-bye to Google+? Must admit it never drove much traffic and ever seemed to have anyone on it, so this is no great loss. Will Google create another better Social Media site?
Deep Money Thought
“Believe me it is better to understand the balance-sheet of one’s own life than of the corn trade” –Seneca
You need to understand yourself before you attempt to understand your finances,
might be a conjecture from this thought.
While the markets cogitate and cause panic, here are some analysis worth reading.
- Sometimes You Just Have to Shake Your Head, is thoughts from the Blunt Bean Counter when he is called in to unravel some dubious financial decisions that have been made by customers. Sometimes you do need a lawyer or accountant.
- How the Ontario government has betrayed investors, was written by Gordon Pape in the Toronto Star (pay wall), and I am glad to see Mr. Pape taking the industry on (and the government as well).
- What Actually Happens At The End Of ‘Trading Places’? This is a good question, because I was not completely clear on this holiday film. What blew my mind is the regulation to stop this from happening in real life is called the Eddie Murphy Rule, #mighty .
- Michael James brings us a very useful, Managing a GIC Ladder in Retirement. I think the GIC Ladder is an idea that will start making a big comeback with interest rates rising.
Financial Tweet of the Week
Rate Spy says that using HELOCs can put consumers at Risk. It sounds hinky, but it is correct. Any time you use debt there is risk!
The New 2018 Random Thoughts
- Tech Infiltration , NAFTA/USMCA, WiFi, Tornadoes and #MoneyTalk (October 5th)
- Back to School, London Calling, Basic Cable and #MoneyTalk (September 14th)
- Tighter Money, the 13th , Hydro Savings and #MoneyTalk (July 14th)
- Ganja Tourism, Sneaker Smuggling, Solar Potential and #MoneyTalk (June 22nd)
- Mothers Day, Counterfeit Reality, Higher Stress and #MoneyTalk (May 11th)
- Decisions, Bitcoin, Inflation and #MoneyTalk (April 20th)
- Stock Picking Update, Crypto Credit, and #MoneyTalk (April 13the)
- RDSP, Easter, Thanks Rusty and #MoneyTalk (March 29th)
- Facebook, Spring is here and #MoneyTalk (March 23rd)
- Still Financially Crazy after 13 Years (March 16th)
- Steady Interest Rates, Spring Forward and #MoneyTalk (March 8th)
- Budgets, Phoenix Death, Inflation and #MoneyTalk (March 2nd)
- Potholes, Tuition Increases, and #MoneyTalk (February 23rd)
- RRSP, Lent, Happy Year of the Dog and #MoneyTalk (February 16th)
- Roller Coaster Markets , Olympics and #Moneytalk (February 9th)
- Superb Owls, RDSP Deposit and #MoneyTalk (February 2nd)
- OHIP Overload, Doomsday minus 2 minutes, and #MoneyTalk (January 26th)
- Tighter Money, Best Investment, Go North! and #MoneyTalk (January 19th)
- Paper Delivery, Bitcoin and #MoneyTalk (January 12th)
- Polar Vortexes, Minimum Wage and #MoneyTalk (January 4th)
My RSS feed is available.