TD Direct Investing RDSP Deposits

in Registered Disability Savings Plan

I write certain articles yearly, as an update on previous articles. Not many things change in my financial world, unfortunately, my ability to deposit in my son’s RDSP is one of those.

Some of my yearly, rants:

RDSP Deposit for a TD Direct Investing Account

For those unsure let me recap. I cannot make a deposit directly to my son’s RDSP (a TD Direct Investing account). I must first put money in my Direct Investing trading account. Once the money is in the trading account, I must then call Direct Investing phone service, to then transfer the money to my son’s RDSP.

RDSP
The Route for Money to My Son’s RDSP

Over the years I have had many reasons given. I received an update from someone who has an RDSP where he is the beneficiary, who can directly deposit to that account. This confused me, so I continue to ask yearly, to Direct Investing, why I cannot do the deposit.

This years response follows:

Only the account holders can transfer cash to the RDSP account.

This would be the same for any registered plan account.

Due to online privacy and security concerns, trade and account related inquiries are handled by our investment representatives. By phone, we can securely access your profile to assist accordingly. If you feel that the representative has not adequately addressed your concern, you may ask to speak with a Manager.

Response from TD Direct Investing

This seems to line up with what I have found out. It does not make me very happy, as I think I can easily deposit into any RESP directly. I did that for my daughters, and am doing it for my son as well.

New Tactic?

Given my son now has a TD savings account, I will test the validity of this explanation. I will attempt to set up a transfer to his RDSP. I will also need to file his taxes for next year, but that is for another story.

Addendum, I forgot that last year two smart folks Bobby Vu and Steven Reeves commented that I could try “Paying it as a Bill”. This would entail setting up a bill payment to TD Direct Investing with my son’s RESP account number. I have set this up and am attempting to see if it works.

Previous Discussions on Topic

• LittleMountain May 17, 2021, 1:07 PM

I simply send a cheque in the mail to TD Waterhouse on Bloor Street in Toronto and they deposit it each time. I am not the holder of the RDSP, but it is still accepted.

I tried depositing the cheque through a TD branch, and they asked about 5 different people in the branch and then told me “we can’t do that” and asked me to send the cheque to head office in Toronto.

We have nothing with TD other than the RDSP account.

• bigcajunman May 17, 2021, 1:45 PM

Glad that works, you could also then pay into it as an on-line bill from another bank. I have confirmation it works from CIBC. Simply create the on line bill payment to TD Direct Investing, with the account number and it should work. You could test with say a $10 payment?

• Milburn May 16, 2021, 1:01 PM

Greeting BCM!
    I have had a TD Direct Investing RDSP account for my son for several years now. I have no other TD accounts.
    Once a year, I go to a TD bank branch with a cheque made out to myself (as I am the holder of the RDSP). I give them the RDSP account number and watch for about 15 minutes as they consult every manager in the branch. Eventually they accept it and within a week the deposit shows up in the RDSP account. Never has it gone astray.

• bigcajunman May 16, 2021, 3:35 PM

I learned that all I needed to do was set up a “Pay a Bill” (evidently works for TD accounts and at CIBC), to TD Direct Investing, with my son’s RDSP account number, and it eventually shows up. I feel kind of foolish after a lot of complaining on my part (should have tried that).

• d. May 12, 2021, 12:48 AM

My child’s RDSP is self administer with NBDB. I am the holder and I have trading authority on the RDSP. Deposits into an RDSP must have the approval of the holder. If you are the holder you automatically have the right to deposit.
    Since I have trading authority on the rdsp I can make trades and I do that on line. I am surprised that TDW seemingly does not offer the same level of convenience. Are you the “holder” and do you have trading authority on the RDSP account?

• bigcajunman May 12, 2021, 1:04 AM

Not sure what the holder term means, but yes I have trading authority.