Random Thoughts: Still Spewing

in Procrastinate, Random Thoughts

They Got Around to Me

This week, TD got around to raising the interest rates on my Lines of Credit finally, interesting because when they announced they were increasing Mortgage rates and their “prime” rate, nothing seemed to happen to these accounts, but I guess they finally got around to me. My guess is these changes are effective the date of the announcement (i.e. June 1st), so whoopee, another 1/4% point up on me (now paying 3.5%). I was hoping they might miss me, but, no such luck, Interest Rates while sometimes negotiable, go up when the bank says so.

With the Markets taking another pounding this week, looks as though a Summer Swoon may be hitting the investment world, that may only recover in September (or later). I am hoping for at least a slight bounce back, before that date, but I am not confident that it will happen.

Remember that if you enjoy these weekly review of useful links in Personal Finance and Investing to subscribe to my twitter feed where I retweet many great articles by some of my featured writers (and make the occasional odd or off colour commentary on life (in 140 characters or less)). Also remember my RSS feed is available too, for those who enjoy reading without looking at my archaic page lay out.

From the Financial Blog World

This week some interesting turns of phrase and content caught my eye:

Enjoy this glorious June weekend, although in Ottawa it might be cold and wet. Visit these sites and others to help expand your Personal Finance Acumen.

• Preet Banerjee June 15, 2010, 10:57 PM

Super belated “thanks for the link”! I’m deafened by the vuvuzelas.

• bigcajunman June 16, 2010, 5:22 AM

Not by the whine of the engines? I trust you wore good ear protection the whole weekend.

• larry macdonald June 11, 2010, 11:37 AM

Count me out of the Smith Manouvre too

• bigcajunman June 11, 2010, 2:33 PM

Hey Larry you weren’t spam this time!! 🙂 Good to hear you are on the winning side.

• Balance Junkie June 11, 2010, 10:05 AM

I’m with you on the Smith Manoeuvre as well – too much risk and you never know when the government will pull the plug.

Trying to predict what the stock market will do is a good way to look like an idiot or a genius, depending on your time horizon. Bulls and bears will both be right at some point.

Still, I think it’s always wise to at least be aware of what’s happening in the markets and the broader economy, especially in today’s dicey climate. These issues can and will affect the money you have in the market. Thanks for the mention & have a great weekend!

• bigcajunman June 11, 2010, 10:15 AM

Agreed, knowing the market trends are important, but knowing when to act on them is the one thing to know.

• Michael James June 11, 2010, 9:22 AM

Thanks for the mention. Funny you should mention that book because I now have it out of the library.

• bigcajunman June 11, 2010, 10:15 AM

Great book for scarey stories, AND it has a beaver on the front of it.

• Canadian Capitalist June 11, 2010, 8:58 AM

Thanks for the mention! I’ve seen no reason to change my opinion on the Smith Manoeuvre either — for most people, it’s best avoided.

• Mary June 11, 2010, 7:57 AM

Same thing happened to me, but I notice the interest rates on my savings accounts at TD haven’t gone up… Not impressed!

• bigcajunman June 11, 2010, 8:32 AM

There is an interest rate on my savings account? I guess I am rounding up too much? 🙂