November 11th A Special Day
For me this week has been very short, as I am a Civil Servant and got Remembrance Day off, and am taking a day’s vacation to make this a gloriously long weekend. One of my co-workers actually dubbed November 11th as Remember It’s Time to Start Christmas Shopping Day, which is a little disrespectful to Remembrance Day, but still quite apropos for Ottawa. The stores were jammed on Thursday afternoon with happy Civil Servants starting their Christmas Spending Debacle early (but there will be more on this in the coming weeks, no doubt).
This short week the topics I covered included:
- We Shall Remember 2010 is an off topic post about Remembrance Day here in Canada.
- Glory Days where I pointed out that things were not really better when I was younger, I was just younger then.
- Canadians now have over a Trillion Dollars in Mortgage Debt, and I pointed that out in That is One Big Mortgage.
- I discussed my obsessive compulsive side in Can I have a Refund Please.
- An off topic for this blog, but not for the week of Vimy Ridge.
While a somber week in Remebrance of our fallen countryfolk, there is some excellent posts from other folks in the Personal Finance Blog world:
- Financial Highway talks about how Conviction is for Convicts – I mean Stock Investors, tell that to Conrad Black!
- Michael James pointed out the shabby way we treat some Veterans in Remembrance Day – Going Beyond Symbolic gestures.
- Jim Yih writes about RRSP and RRIF Tax traps, there are traps everywhere, aren’t their Admiral Akbar?
- Larry MacDonald keeps up the Gold Plated commentaries with his post Dividend Investors and Gold Stocks, it is Au-some (for those who love periodic table puns).
- Million Dollar Journey shows that there are Ways to Save Money on Winter Tires, and NO he does not say don’t buy them (in Ottawa, that would be suicide (if you drive a car)).
- Preet writes an article over at the Globe&Mail that shows that he is a Latte Sucking Elitist, with his comment Quit Bashing my Latte Habit, I bet he is a LIBERAL too! Latte sucking elitist Liberal, I like that turn of phrase, think I’ll trademark it.
- Boomer of Boomer & Echo, showed he wants to be an elitist new car buying snob in the post My Brand New Car, was it at least a hybrid? Elitist new car driving LIBERAL, maybe I’ll trademark that too.
For the record I am a Civil Libertarian at heart, drive a used Toyota and drink Tim Horton’s coffee (but I am White Collar too).
Remember that I also micro-blog on Twitter, where you can see a whole plethora of good articles and pithy comments by me as well. Twitter feed where I re-tweet many great articles by some of my featured writers (and make the occasional odd or off colour commentary on life (in 140 characters or less)). I am also on Digg as Big Cajun Man as well.
Remember that this site is iPhone Friendly (and Android & iPod Touch Friendly), enjoy it on the go, in a readable format for the device. If you are reading with an iPhone or Android device, drop me a comment and tell me if this needs any improvements. This site is also in the Kindle US Blog list, if you are interested, not available in Canada yet (because no Blogs are available in Canada on a Kindle?!?).
“There are people who have money and people who are rich.”