Most holidays have a name, “Labour Day”, “Thanksgiving”, etc.,etc., but not this holiday. This holiday has different names all over Ontario (in Quebec, they call it “the Monday after Construction Holiday”), so no one really gives this holiday the respect it deserves.
The holiday also takes place at the start of August, when a lot of people are already on vacation, so it kind of passes without getting noticed by some folk.
Given this isn’t a holiday in Quebec, it means usually a lot of folk from Ottawa go to Gatineau to do things.
The Unknown Holiday
Enjoy your “holiday” Ontarians (and others across Canada who give the holiday a name), but maybe we need to give this holiday a name. Here are some that I propose::
- COVID, Is It Over (Day)? Again, we seem to be going in the right direction, but we have thought that before.
- Ontario The Good Day, it reflects the rest of Canada’s opinion of us.
- Rene Levesque Day, he did more for the Toronto economy than any one man ever.
- OHIP Day, no program is more important, coveted or talked about, so let’s have a day for it.
- Coffee Day , it gives the holiday a multi-cultural feel to it, and is there any one drink that deserves a holiday named after it? It’s also on a Monday!
- Emancipation Day seems like a good name too?
Been a quiet writing time for me. Might write some more, we shall see.
- What the Hustler Taught Me About Banking given how much the banks have made during the pandemic, I think this is very true. What will happen when things return to a more normal?
- Changes to Disability Tax Credit which is a good thing. It remains to be seen if the process is any easier. I am hopeful, but skeptical.
- Entitled or Mistreated Consumers ? an older article with a few updates about how we should fight for our consumer rights. You are always your best advocate.
- Tax Day in Canada 2021 has come and gone. Hopefully you got yours in on time?
- TD Direct Investing RDSP Deposits a yearly complaint with a fix? I have found a way to do bi-weekly deposits, and they seem to be working, which is good.
- Inflation 3.4% April 2021 (Told you so) does look like short term Inflation is here. Will this be an extended inflationary period is the question now.
- Best Financial Decision Ever ? The luckiest financial decision ever? Either way, I am glad it all worked out nicely.
- Time: The Most Important Financial Variable and still true today. If you have time, you can do great things. If you don’t, you can’t take risks.
- RESP: Free Money Folks why don’t you want it? You can get $2500 a year taxed in your kids’ hands. You can even get real free money if you are low income. RESP, if you have kids, you should get one.
- Surreal Paragraphs Found in Credit Card Bills your minimum payment is not your friend. You would be astounded how long a small amount will take to be paid off.
Random Thoughts from the Past
- Good Friday, COVID continues, XRP, Tax Time and #MoneyTalk Good Friday was still during the odd time of full COVID lockdown too. (April 2nd)
- Happy New Year 2021 and #MoneyTalk wrapped up the year that was (2020) and talked of new and exciting days ahead (January 2nd)
- Vaccines, Here Comes Christmas and #MoneyTalk (December 11th)
- COVID19 Opening Up, Middle Aged Canada and #MoneyTalk (July 17th)
- Happy Canada Day #MoneyTalk (July 1st) 🇨🇦
- Fathers Day , COVID, Unsubscribe & #MoneyTalk (June 19th)
- Boxing Tuesday, Opening Up and #MoneyTalk (May 16th)
- Opening up, May Day, COVID19 and #MoneyTalk (May 1st)
- Unemployment Spikes, Easter and #MoneyTalk (April 11th)
- Covid-19, Stay Home and #MoneyTalk (March 27th)