Most holidays have a name, â€œLabour Dayâ€, â€œThanksgivingâ€, etc.,etc., but not this holiday. This holiday has different names all over Ontario (in Quebec, they call it â€œthe Monday after Construction Holidayâ€), so no one really gives this holiday the respect it deserves.
The holiday also takes place at the start of August, when a lot of people are already on vacation, so it kind of passes without getting noticed by some folk.
Given this isn’t a holiday in Quebec, it means usually a lot of folk from Ottawa go to Gatineau to do things.
The Unknown Holiday
Enjoy your â€œholidayâ€ Ontarians (and others across Canada who give the holiday a name), but maybe we need to give this holiday a name. Here are some that I propose::
- COVID, Is It Over (Day)? Again, we seem to be going in the right direction, but we have thought that before.
- Ontario The Good Day, it reflects the rest of Canada’s opinion of us.
- Rene Levesque Day, he did more for the Toronto economy than any one man ever.
- OHIP Day, no program is more important, coveted or talked about, so let’s have a day for it.
- Coffee Day , it gives the holiday a multi-cultural feel to it, and is there any one drink that deserves a holiday named after it? It’s also on a Monday!
- Emancipation Day seems like a good name too?
Been a quiet writing time for me. Might write some more, we shall see.
- What the Hustler Taught Me About Banking given how much the banks have made during the pandemic, I think this is very true. What will happen when things return to a more normal?
- Changes to Disability Tax Credit which is a good thing. It remains to be seen if the process is any easier. I am hopeful, but skeptical.
- Entitled or Mistreated Consumers ? an older article with a few updates about how we should fight for our consumer rights. You are always your best advocate.
- Tax Day in Canada 2021 has come and gone. Hopefully you got yours in on time?
- TD Direct Investing RDSP Deposits a yearly complaint with a fix? I have found a way to do bi-weekly deposits, and they seem to be working, which is good.
- Inflation 3.4% April 2021 (Told you so) does look like short term Inflation is here. Will this be an extended inflationary period is the question now.
- Best Financial Decision Ever ? The luckiest financial decision ever? Either way, I am glad it all worked out nicely.
- Time: The Most Important Financial Variable and still true today. If you have time, you can do great things. If you don’t, you can’t take risks.
- RESP: Free Money Folks why don’t you want it? You can get $2500 a year taxed in your kids’ hands. You can even get real free money if you are low income. RESP, if you have kids, you should get one.
- Surreal Paragraphs Found in Credit Card Bills your minimum payment is not your friend. You would be astounded how long a small amount will take to be paid off.
Random Thoughts from the Past
- Good Friday, COVID continues, XRP, Tax Time and #MoneyTalk Good Friday was still during the odd time of full COVID lockdown too. (April 2nd)
- Happy New Year 2021 and #MoneyTalk wrapped up the year that was (2020) and talked of new and exciting days ahead (January 2nd)
- Vaccines, Here Comes Christmas and #MoneyTalk (December 11th)
- COVID19 Opening Up, Middle Aged Canada and #MoneyTalk (July 17th)
- Happy Canada Day #MoneyTalk (July 1st) ðŸ‡¨ðŸ‡¦
- Fathers Day , COVID, Unsubscribe & #MoneyTalk (June 19th)
- Boxing Tuesday, Opening Up and #MoneyTalk (May 16th)
- Opening up, May Day, COVID19 and #MoneyTalk (May 1st)
- Unemployment Spikes, Easter and #MoneyTalk (April 11th)
- Covid-19, Stay Home and #MoneyTalk (March 27th)