Random Thoughts: Back to Work Edition

Vacation is Over

For my regular readers you will know I have been on the hunt for a new job for over a year now, but I am pleased to say that I will be embarking on a new career as of Monday, which is a great relief to me (and to my wife who will gladly have the house back in a regular working order soon enough). I will more likely than not post my reflections on this period sometime soon, but for now this is a bulletin and a warning that my postings may be a little erratic for the next little while as I grow accustomed to my work schedule as well (no I am not giving up blogging (at least I am not planning to) just that I need to get a rhythm back in my life).

From the Financial Blogosphere

Another interesting week in August, as we move toward the fall, and what do the financial bloggers have to say this week?

• Preet at WhereDoesAllMyMoneyGo wrote about An Investment Company Owned By It’s Clients, sounds like a good idea to me.
  • The Canadian Capitalist points out Seven Reasons Why Retroactive TFSA Rooms Isn’t A Good Idea, I’d still like it, but I can understand his point as well.
  • Michael James lets us peek into his psyche as he shares with us his Simple Spending Mind Games, trust me it’s an interesting idea.
  • Larry MacDonald has been doing a series on Buying a New Car (there are a series of posts read them all). Hope there is cash for Clunkers in Canada, I have a clunker I’d love to kick to the curb.
  • My Money Blog posted their August 2009 financial Statement, this is very brave and I know I don’t want to ever do this on my blog, but it is interesting to see how other folks cope.
  • Nancy Zimmerman discusses Back To School Spending Habits, and yes it is The Most Wonderful Time of the Year! Why does my Loblaws already have their Halowe’en Candy out, yet I can’t find their back to school section?

Should be an interesting weekend, and then back to work!

• Four Pillars August 15, 2009, 7:21 AM

Congrats on the new job!!!

• Tax Guy August 11, 2009, 7:44 AM

I’m happy to hear you found another job! Can you share some details? What is the job/industry?

• Riscario Insider August 10, 2009, 10:03 PM

Congratulations on your new role (whatever it is).

If Halloween candy is already on sale, Back To School season’s probably over ;)

• Jensen August 10, 2009, 4:23 PM

Haha, that seems very logical, yet its probably not the most followed peice of advice there is.

• Jensen August 10, 2009, 3:25 PM

Hi there, I actually just did a search on the Canadian Capitalist’s website using the term “Layoff” and after a couple of linking websites, came across your post of the layoff from last year.

I click the home page, and it seems you have recently found yourself a new job! Congratulations!

I have recently just experienced a layoff (in June 2009), live in Ottawa, and am pretty frustrated about how things are turning out. I’m a little younger than you (28), but I’d love to hear how you dealt with things in more detail, and what you did to find yourself this new venture!

In the meantime, I’m going to look throughout your blog and read about yuour thoughts, as this is my first time visiting.

Again, CONGRATS!

I’ve left my email for you

• bigcajunman August 10, 2009, 4:19 PM

I am planning a group of posts about this very topic, stay tuned, here is a freebie. Talking with other unemployed people is NOT Networking, you network with people who have jobs, not the unemployed!

• WhereDoesAllMyMoneyGo.com August 7, 2009, 12:26 PM

Thanks for the link and if you took a job as a spy, don’t blog about it. :P

• DAvid August 7, 2009, 10:13 AM

Congratulations on the successful job search! Hopefully it will be a fairly smooth process getting to the new normal!

DAvid

• Canadian Capitalist August 7, 2009, 9:06 AM

Thanks for the mention! Happy to hear that you’ve landed a position! Congratulations & good luck with the new adventure!

• Michael James August 7, 2009, 8:56 AM

Thanks for the mention. Congratulations on the new job!