Discounts (and you only get what you ask for)

In my continuing search to pay as little for my insurance as I possibly can (while remaining within the laws of the land and keeping my stuff safe), I was told about a great discount that I would get from being a member of PSAC. I dutifully checked with the insurer in question and received a very odd quote that was higher for my cars than my current insurer, however over all it was lower due to the cost of having my daughter on my Auto Policy.

No She Isn't Going to School In China!

No She Isn’t Going to School In China!

I wasn’t really that impressed with the savings, however, I was considering changing, until I remembered the words of my post  The Answer is Always No, Unless You Ask, so I decided to find out why on my current Auto Policy I was paying so darn much for my daughter.

I called my current insurer and asked about why my Daughter cost so much on my policy. The agent I spoke with was sympathetic, but then I remembered that Michael James had mentioned a while ago about Student Away at School discounts, so I mentioned that my daughter goes to school a fair distance away, and Voila, thanks to that and my daughter getting her G license, I saved $290 , not an insignificant pile of cabbage.

Am I happier? Absolutely. Do I feel stupid for not remembering what Michael James had written? Absolutely.

I have sent the proof of my daughter’s enrollment (via e-mail, how nice and clean) and hope to see the discount show up on my policy very soon.

• Jane Savers @ Solving The Money Puzzle May 8, 2013, 7:22 AM

I had to change insurance companies to one that did not charge ridiculous rates for boys when my sons started to drive. Both boys receive a good student discount and I have used the student out of town feature for a good savings.

One of the best things the insurance people told me was to get the boys to move through the steps of the license and get to the G as soon as possible. They both received a small reduction when they secured their Gs and on the one year anniversary of the G.

• RateSupermarket.ca May 7, 2013, 2:18 PM

Insurance is the biggest scam this world has known. Good for you for getting your rates lowered.

• krantcents May 7, 2013, 12:34 PM

I saved a couple hundred by just letting my suto insurance company know I commute less to work.

• Michael James May 7, 2013, 11:49 AM

AHA! This is proof that my years of blogging have helped at least one person one time :-)

• bigcajunman May 7, 2013, 5:07 PM

Indeed! You also told me face to face, which goes to show how much I listen to advice of any form.

• Greg May 7, 2013, 10:47 AM

My insurance company treats my away-at-university daughter just like anybody else I might occasionally lend my car to with no extra charges for insurance. But this may be a little different because she hasn’t lived at home at all since starting University, her work terms have also been away from home. She still comes to visit on holidays though :).

• bigcajunman May 7, 2013, 11:41 AM

That’s a good option, although I am not sure if that gives them an out (i.e. how long was she living at home might be asked if you made a claim).

• Bet Crooks May 7, 2013, 9:06 AM

But, but, but surely your rates have dropped more than 15% since they changed the rules and capped the benefits you can receive if you’re left half dead at the side of the road? What?!? They stayed the same?

Good for you for finding a way to reduce your rates for real, as it appears waiting for a legislated reduction may be less than useful.

• bigcajunman May 7, 2013, 10:34 AM

Indeed Edith Prickley isn’t likely to even get passed her first budget, let alone any new legislation.