Down, down, down.. then Up,Up, UP!
The markets are showing to be have more changeability, than the weather in Ottawa in May! We saw huge jumps this week after last week’s massive drops, and now Gold (Au) is at it’s highest price ever per ounce. Does this mean we should all go out and buy Gold? Um, no, but it does bode well for Canada, when Natural Resource prices go up (Oil, Gold, Natural Gas, Peat Moss, etc.,), so keep up that Gold hoarding! We also got to enjoy the Montreal Canadiens knock off the Penguins and move on to the Conference finals (while Montreal burned), what are these rioters going to do if the Habs win it all?
In the blogosphere lots of advice to stay calm during these “interesting” times in the market, which is good advice, but also some interesting commentary on life in general.
- Balance Junkie really liked my post Of Debts and Deficits and had their own post Debt Clock: What Does Yours Look Like? where the American version of the debt clock appears, note they are 24 times worse off than Canada (and they have a huge military complex to pay for as well, we only have socialized medicine)
- The Fiscal Geek asked a question I have asked a couple of times Does Money Buy Happiness? and the answer is, not directly, but it certainly can buy peace of mind. Then again, check out The Year of Giving for another perspective as well.
- The High Cost of Funerals is something that is worrying Michael James, and given the comments from his wife, he best sleep lightly as well.
- Investors Need to Calm Down is a sentiment brought forward by the Canadian Capitalist but shared by many financial bloggers this week. A great caricature of this I remember from the day after the PQ first got elected in Quebec, drawn by Aislin, with Rene Levesque pointing to the reader saying, “OK, Everybody take a valium!”.
- The Frugal Trader over at the Million Dollar Journey points out how to Save Money with VoIP (Voice Over IP) I always love when people adopt new technologies and it saves them money.
- Speaking of High Tech shenanigans, Preet at WhereDoesAllMyMoneyGo pointed out the new Rogers iPad Pricing and 3G Data Pricing in Canada as usual we are getting the dirty end of the stick from our wireless providers. Isn’t it just cheaper to get an American plan?
- Larry MacDonald has some interesting Rebalancing puzzles to make you go Hmmmmm… while Michael James shows you rebalancing strategies: periodic versus thresholds, thus you should be better balanced.
- Gail V-O gives us 7 Questions Borrowers Should Ask and I’d like to point out I discussed in my post Mortgage Insurance question number 7!
- The Canadian Couch Potato has now landed a new gig with a New Couch Potato Column in MoneySense good for them!
- Mr. Cheap over at The Four Pillars writes about how easy it really is Tracking Finances, and to some it is a more daunting task than it really is.
Your official watch out message for the week? Watch out for ATM skimmers, like this one, evidently in the Ottawa area there have been many incidents, and my wife’s card was compromised some time last year as well.