Some may view the 2012 Federal Budget on Thursday as a Baseball Bat to the head, but it seems that the Harper Government pulled their punch a little, given they didn’t slash the Federal Civil Service the way it was being predicted. As I mentioned on Friday, I am in one of the target groups for age, so I can get Old Age Security when I am 66 and 8 months old, but anyone born in 1961 after June 1st is up to 67 years before they can receive that benefit.
Other things are changing that affect me directly:
- Pension contribution increases for Public Servants, which makes sense if it ensures the system stays afloat.
- Changes to the RDSP system, which I will elaborate on next week (since that is very important to me).
- Travellers’ exemptions have increased a bit, so more nice things can come back even if I only stay in the U.S. for 24 hours.
- Elimination of our beloved penny, no more penny for your thoughts, penny candy or penny whistles, it’s sad, but it does have to go too.
- Many other exciting things that you should go and read about.
On my twitter feed I continued to find some old and gold posts from the past as well as a lot of exciting retweets in both official languages:
- Saturday I pointed out the problems of waiting too long for things to happen with The Good Wine: A Personal Finance Parable.
- Is there ever such a thing as Free Banking? For me, there have been times (and for others that I know as well).
- Should Parents Pay for University, I have asked that question many times, and I know what I am doing, but what do you folks think?
- Is anything as Dumb as Snake Mittens ? It’s hard to think there is, but I am sure there is.
- My Dad passed away about a year ago, and I still miss talking with him, but especially about money, thus Fathers and Money, the post is important to me.
- Can Boobs be a Metaphor for Earthquakes, yes, I went off on a tangent on that one.
I did find a fun version of the budget on video, done by iPolitics, which is a Pop-up Video version (with very Civil Service leanings, I will freely admit):
Have a great weekend