Nothing like the week before a LONG weekend to get things rolling nicely. Yes it is Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend, and the traditional Turkey dinner and watching a bunch of CFL games on Monday, which has accompanied previous Thanksgiving days in my family.
The NCFBA had another fine meeting and we even had a new visitor Kanwal from Simply Investing who we hopefully didn’t scare off. There was a lively discussion at the end of our meeting about Hedging your investments against currency fluctuations, that I completely was confused by in the first 2 minutes (Larry M., Canadian Capitalist and Michael James had a lively sharing of opinions on that), I believe the conclusion I got was that one of those chaps will be writing a post about this (hopefully in terms that the common folk like me can understand).
The NCFBA members all commented on my Costco Jewelry post, I always feel good when my peers notice something I have written (even if it is a fun post like that). Still haven’t found anyone who has bought one of the rings, I’d be curious to hear from anyone who has, and whether they were happy with their purchase.
Hopefully Ottawa will not be bombed with turkeys this weekend (look that up on Google with WKRP in the search, you should find one of my favorite TV scenes ever):
- Oktoberfest, Trudeaumania, Bad Beer and #TweetsÂ points that everything eventually comes back, even tired old political crap from the late 60’s!
- Bacon Shortage!Â Is it true? Folks are skeptical, but you better stock up on the other red meat just in case
- Spending money to make moneyÂ is a tired expression used by investment folks, but there are actually times in life when you actually do need to do this.
- Online jewelry at CostcoÂ and not just cheap stuff either, $79K rings that you can pick up along with a gross of toilet paper, and a $5 lunch.
- Why you need to consider lifestyle in your retirement planningÂ is an important part of your retirement planning.
And thanks to those who added me on Twitter I am now over 1210 folks who follow me, holy liftin! If you join my “Twitter Posse“, you might notice I am also re-Tweeting some posts from the French Media as well (hell, if I am learning the language, shouldn’t we all?).
Check out my Facebook page and find us on Google+Â as well. The page include many different posts, not just my own (kind of like this Friday post, but all week-long), and I have changed it a little bit too (note the new background).
Links for the Week
Plenty of debates down south (why does Mitt Romney hate Big Bird), but no hockey likely up in Canada for a good long while (at least at the NHL level), but not many turkeys in this lot as well:
- I’ve told my kids they will be lucky if I don’t leave them a huge debt when I die, so I am not as worried about my will but The Blunt Bean Counter gives us Holy Hotchpot – Equalizing Uneven Advances to your Children in Your Will.
- Michael James is living through an un-fun time at work so he wrote about Dealing with Layoffs, I have lived through both sides of the equation, and it’s more fun when you get to keep your job at the end of the process.
- The Canadian Capitalist points out that Vanguard US ETF Benchmarks are changing, which is important for me since I hold at least one of those index funds.
- Echo of Boomer and Echo asks are Investors getting short changed from our banks and advisors? I think the easy answer is yes, it happens.
- Riscario was at CPFC12 and has a few views on it Where Financial Bloggers Fail, too bad I missed it.
- My Own Advisor gives us his September 2012 Dividend Report , which is brave of him, telling us all about his successes and his problems too (no you aren’t going to get that kind of info from me).
- Larry MacDonald gives us an interesting point of view with Why a housing crash is not imminent.
Remember my RSS feed is available too, and I have added an RSS Comment Feed as well.
Have a look at my micro-blog on Twitter, where you can see a whole plethora of good articles and pithy comments by me as well. Twitter feed where I re-tweet many great articles by some of my featured writers (and make the occasional odd or off colour commentary on life (in 140 characters or less)). I am also Â on reddit, Tumblr, Pinterest and other Social Media sites (look for the BigCajunMan userid) as well.
If you have social media accounts, don’t forget to vote for my posts (see the nifty dashboard on the bottom of each article, where you can cast your votes). As they say in Quebec, vote early and vote often!
This site is iPhone Friendly (and Android , iPod Touch and iPad Friendly), enjoy it on the go, in a readable format for the device. If you are reading with an iPhone or Android device, drop me a comment and tell me if this needs any improvements. This site is also in the Kindle US Blog list, if you are interested, not available in Canada yet (because no Blogs are available in Canada on a Kindle?!?).
The NCFBA was a fun meeting.
WKRP was a great show.
Thanks for the mention and enjoy your time with family!
That’s a great WKRP bit. Thanks for the mention.
That’s nice to be able to get together with other bloggers every once in a while. Tom came down to see me once…but he hasn’t been back.
Enjoy your Thanksgiving weekend!
BCM, thx for the link. The only reason you will not be worrying about a Hotchpot clause is your retirment lifestyle will be so extravagant 🙂
Lucky I get to watch a real hockey team now, the Marlies. Happy Thanksgiving
We get to watch Binghampton play, so lots of good young talent. The Marlies, don’t they have weight issues?
Watch the Argos instead?